"Help Us, Dr. Lee!"

The appointment was early the next morning. At eight am, Bai LuoYin and Gu Hai sat in Dr. Lee's office with coffee cups and muffins. They had also purchased the same things for the good doctor, hoping that he would help them in their decision making.
Bai LuoYin and Gu Hai explained their situation.
Dr. Lee eyed them both understandably. He took a deep breathe and let it out slowly. Then, he opened his desk draw and pulled out a huge stack of files. He pushed the stack towards them. "I think I know your personalities well enough to be a good judge of character." He tapped the top of the pile, saying, "Look through these. I'm sure you will find someone here that you'll like."
Gu Hai looked puzzled. "What are these?" He asked, leaning forward and picking up the first file.
Bai LuoYin grabbed the next file on the pile and opened it. A picture of a woman stared back at him. The woman was smiling, showing off her best feature. Under her picture, personal information was written in big bold letters.
"Those are 'known donors'." Dr. Lee said. "You two seem like the type of people who would want to know more about what you're getting into. I promise, this is the best option for you both, since you can't make up your minds."
Bai LuoYin looked up at the doctor. He had to admit, the doctor was right. Family or their friends were not an option. Maybe getting to know someone wouldn't be such a bad thing.
"Bai LuoYin, what do you think about this?" Gu Hai asked, gently placing his file back down on the desk and looking over at him.
Bai LuoYin sighed. "I think we should try this. If we don't find anyone, there is the unknown donor option."
Gu Hai nodded. He had devoted his entire life to making Bai LuoYin happy, he wasn't going to stop now.
Dr. Lee led them to an office area so that they would have peace and quiet.
A place to think and make important decisions was greatly appreciated, so Gu Hai shook Dr. Lee's hand before he left the room.
Bai LuoYin divided the pile evenly between him and Gu Hai. They sat across from one another and began looking through the files, taking great care as to read every bit of information provided.
When Gu Hai found someone he liked, he placed the file into a separate pile. He shoved the rest towards Bai LuoYin so that he was able to do have a look at his rejected donors.
Bai LuoYin did the same thing. He made a pile of donors that he liked and handed the rest to Gu Hai to take a look.
Everyone in the files were given a fair chance.
As the pile got smaller, Bai LuoYin opened the next file. He froze as he recognized the woman in the picture. She was the one from the food cafeteria.  The same woman who had spoken to him about her past and her reason for becoming a donor. She was alone in the world. No family, no friends.
After reading every bit of information left about her from the file, he closed the file and held it close to his chest. He looked over at Gu Hai, who was still reading, and slid the file down to his lap. He decided not to put her file in any pile. He was sure about this one. He wanted her to be the one to carry their first child.
When the rest of the files were done, they both took a look at each other's 'potential' files. Gu Hai made small comments about things he didn't like, then Bai LuoYin would agree. They ended up having a larger stack of 'unwanted donors' than ones who were serious considerations.
More debating was done for an hour more. By the end of the second hour, they had one file in hand.
Bai LuoYin reached into his lap and pulled out the file he had put aside. "I really want you to consider this person." He said, handing the file over to his husband.
Gu Hai frowned, he was unaware of Bai LuoYin's hidden file. He opened it and read its contents. He looked up at his wife and smiled. "You have the most beautiful heart I've ever seen." He said.
Bai LuoYin knew that Gu Hai had thoroughly read the file. He knew that Gu Hai knew about the woman's past. He knew that she was alone. He understood her need to have a child of her own. He registered her need to create someone who would carry on a dream, just like their own.
And just like that, Bai LuoYin got up from his chair and hugged his lover. The embrace spoke words that never needed to be spoken. It was an approval they sealed with a hug.
Dr. Lee led the couple back to his office. He took the stack of files from Gu Hai and placed it back into his desk. He eyed the single file that Bai LuoYin held near his chest. "I see you two have made a decision." He said, taking a seat behind his well polished, brown, wooden desk.
Bai LuoYin and Gu Hai took their seats across from him, nodding in unison.
Bai LuoYin cautiously handed the file to Dr. Lee, who opened it, looked up at them curiously, and then closed it.
"Are you two sure about this person? She has no family." Dr. Lee asked, concerned.
Bai LuoYin nodded. "I have spoken to her before. I am certain that I want her to be our donor."
Dr. Lee gave Gu Hai a skeptical look.
Gu Hai sat up straighter in his seat. "Dr. Lee, if Bai LuoYin says this is what he wants, trust him. He makes better decisions than I do."
Bai LuoYin's neck jerked in Gu Hai's direction. He was surprised to hear those words coming from Gu Hai. Rarely did this man admit to things!
Dr. Lee smiled. "Fine, it is your decision."
They scheduled an appointment so that they could meet with their donor and left the building satisfied.