"Quality Time"

Today was Saturday. The sun was shining. The weather was nice and the birds were chirping outside. Gu Hai and Bai LuoYin were doing the usual, a general cleaning of the house. It was Bai LuoYin's new rule. Every Saturday, they would split up the rooms. Gu Hai was in charge of cleaning half of the house and Bai LuoYin did the other half. They disinfected every piece of furniture, counter and bleached the bathroom. Bai LuoYin and Gu Hai were in agreement. When the babies came, this was to be an ongoing thing. Children thrived in a clean and healthy environment, Bai LuoYin had said to Gu Hai.
  Gu Hai shook his head. He recalled the days when his father hired a cleaning lady to polish their home from top to bottom. His mother hadn't liked it too much because she was the kind of woman who liked to do house chores. But, Gu Wei Ting was the type of man who liked to make things easier for his family.
  "I smell like a lemon," Gu Hai said, walking into the bedroom. He was drinking a bottle of water and he had his shirt off. His pajama bottoms were of an anime character he liked.
  Bai LuoYin popped his head up from scrubbing the tub and eyed him up and down. "I smell like bleach, so don't complain," he said and got out of the tub. He sprayed some cleaning solution into the toilet and put his hands on his hips and said, "Now, I have to let that soak."
  Gu Hai grinned. He liked to watch Bai LuoYin do things. The way he concentrated on the task at hand turned him on. He went into the bathroom and wrapped his arms around his wife from the back. He rested his chin on Bai LuoYin's shoulder, inhaled and exhaled, then kissed him on the cheek.
  "No," Bai LuoYin protested and wiggled his way out of his arms. He turned to face him and pointed a finger up to his nose. "You will not sway me from my duties. You will also go back to yours! There will be no love-making, no sexual things of any kind until this house is shinning like a diamond."
  Gu Hai threw his hands up in the air as if he were being arrested and said, "Yes, sir!" He turned on his heel and went back towards the kitchen. As he was coming down the stairs though, the doorbell rang and he went to answer it. He opened the door and found his father standing there. A bag of food was in one hand and beer in the other. "Dad," he said, surprised.
  Gu Wei Ting frowned at the sight of his son's careless appearance. He wondered if he had interrupted something sexual between him and Bai LuoYin and turned green. He shifted his weight and wondered what to say.
  "Come in," Gu Hai said, stepping to the side. "We are cleaning up. I hope you don't mind the mess."
  Gu Wei Ting's mind raced. Did they just finish doing something naughty and were cleaning themselves up, he thought to himself. He shook the thought from his head and stepped inside.
  At the top of the stairs, Bai LuoYin appeared and smiled. When he made it to the bottom of the steps, he bowed his head and shook Gu Wei Ting's hand firmly.
  Gu Wei Ting noticed that Bai LuoYin also looked out of breath and a little dirty. He lifted the bags in his hands and Bai LuoYin and Gu Hai took them from him.
  They all went into the kitchen and Gu Wei Ting watched as his son moved cleaning products off of the table and counter.
  "We are almost done cleaning," Gu Hai said. He washed his hands and face quickly and pulled his t-shirt over his head.
  "Shall we eat?" asked Bai LuoYin.
  Gu Wei Ting breathed a sigh of relief and nodded. He felt silly that he had misread the situation. He was more than relieved to know that his son was not doing anything sexual. It was still hard for him, even though he was learning to except that his son was gay. But walking into a scene such as the one he was thinking about would have made it all too real in his head.
  Bai LuoYin made some tea and gave Gu Wei Ting a cup.
  "Are you two doing a general cleaning or is this how your weekends are?" Gu Wei Ting asked. He took a sip from the cup and made himself comfortable on the stool in front of the island. His view was of Bai LuoYin leaning up against the stove and Gu Hai was wiping down the front of the refridgerator.
  Gu Hai spoke as he wiped, saying, "Bai LuoYin and I thought that it would be good practice to keep the house clean."
  Gu Wei Ting nodded as he took another sip and said, "That is good. A clean house is something a man should be proud of."
  "We wanted to practice sterility as soon as possible. When the babies come, we want to be able to have them in a safe environment," Bai LuoYin said.
  Gu Wei Ting's eyebrows rose and fell. He was most impressed. Growing up, Gu Hai never lifted a finger to do much. But, Bai LuoYin had made a man out of his son. He had to admit, Gu Hai's temper had reduced a lot since meeting Bai LuoYin. Also, Bai LuoYin had shown him how to take on more responsibilities. Growing up, Gu Hai didn't have chores. As a man, Gu Wei Ting always provided for his family. Only the best of things. Now, it made him proud that his son was growing as a person, as a man. Learning was something all Chinese parents instilled in their children. Grow the mind, and the soul becomes rich, strong, like the root of a tree.
  "Dad," Gu Hai said as he stood upright, "do you think that I'll be a good father?" He gave his father serious eyes and waited to hear what he would say.
  Gu Wei Ting put his cup down and gave his son full eyes. He sighed and said, "I know that you will be a good father."
  Bai LuoYin decided to go back to his housework. He let father and son have some alone time.
  Gu Hai half smiled.
  "You will be a better father than I was," Gu Wei Ting admitted.
  Gu Hai was shocked at those words. He shook his head and said, "No, you were a great father. Don't ever say that. I know that I was difficult to deal with growing up. Even after mother died, I knew you were trying your hardest to still be a great father to me." 
  Gu Wei Ting took a breath and exhaled slowly. He appreciated what his son had said. He nodded. It had been a long time since he talked to his son like this. He drank some more tea and then remembered something. "Oh, Jiang Yuan is also coming. I left early and a car is bringing her soon. She has bought a few things for the surrogate mothers," he said.