"Tong Tian."

The next day, Bai LuoYin and Gu Hai visited Bai Han Qi and Aunty Zhou. Aunty Zhou was so happy to see them, she hurried into the kitchen to cook something special. She made pork rolls and whipped up some vegetable chow mein as the main course. She also made yam cakes for desert.
Bai Han Qi sat in the living room with his son-in-law chatting about how the house was coming along and work.
Bai LuoYin and Tong Tian were talking about model airplanes.
"I've collected ten, build it yourself, airplane models," Tong Tian said proudly. "I've ordered a few more on Amazon, they should arrive soon."
"When they arrive I'll help you put them together," Bai LuoYin offered.
Tong Tian's eyes lit up. He enjoyed spending time with Bai LuoYin. Even though he was the only child for Aunty Zhou, he felt as if Bai LuoYin was his blood brother. Within the eight long years that had kept Bai LuoYin and Gu Hai apart, Bai LuoYin had frequently visited his father. They would spend time talking about school, the air force, and collectable airplanes. Tong Tian had enjoyed the trips to the shopping malls and food shops with him. It was growing up throughout those years that he had learned that Gu Hai and Bai LuoYin had been lovers. He didn't think any differently of Bai LuoYin or Gu Hai. He knew that the world was diverse. People loved who they loved. He was much more mature now that he was older. He understood the world better now that he had matured. He had to admit, he had admired the way that Gu Hai and Bai LuoYin had loved one another. The care that Gu Hai especially showed to Bai LuoYin now taught him how he should treat a woman. When he got his own girlfriend one day, he wanted to love her just like that.
He recalled those sad years in his big brother's life though.
The first year after the car accident, after Bai LuoYin had left Gu Hai in the hospital, they had slept in the same room together. Night after night, Tong Tian would hear Bai LuoYin cry himself to sleep. One day, before Bai LuoYin had joined the air force, Tong Tian had asked him why he was so sad.
"I miss someone," Bai LuoYin had said.
"Who?" Tong Tian had asked curiously.
But Bai LuoYin didn't think he was old enough to understand yet, so he had changed the subject.
Another time, Bai LuoYin had opened his old desk draw and pulled out an ointment. The tube didn't have anything in it anymore, but he watched as Bai LuoYin held it in his hands as if it were something valuable.
"What's that?" he had asked.
Bai LuoYin had looked over at him with glossy eyes. He held the tube up into the air and waved it around a few times and said, "It is medication." He smiled as he said these words, memories flooding his mind like a warm breeze.
"What did you use it for?"
"It's supposed to be used as hemorrhoid cream, but a fool we know used it as glue!"
"Who was the fool?" Tong Tian asked curiously.
Bai LuoYin's happy expression had changed to sadness in the blink of an eye. Tong Tian could sense that he had asked something that had touched his heart. Bai LuoYin's chin quivered. Though Tong Tian watched him from his side view, he could see the tears that filled his eyes. When Bai LuoYin had finally blinked, the tears fell onto the desk, dissolving into the paper under him.
"Are you alright?" he had asked his big brother, worried, and sad for him also.
Bai LuoYin blinked away his tears and quickly wiped his face. He had changed the subject once more.
The next year, after Bai LuoYin had joined the air force, he began to visit home more. Tong Tian and him would often go to the air force base together. Bai LuoYin would teach him about the airplanes, and how to fly them. That same night, he heard Bai LuoYin call out Gu Hai's name in his sleep. Even though Bai LuoYin never talked in his sleep, this surprised Tong Tian. Was his brother dreaming of Gu Hai? Tong Tian would have asked, but Bai LuoYin always put on a strong face. He was always fearless in everything he did. Those rare times that Bai LuoYin had cried in the beginning showed how much he loved Gu Hai. But as the years passed, Bai LuoYin grew stronger, both physically and mentally. He was able to mask his true feelings. He hid how he felt better and better as he aged. He was able to control his emotions and keep them hidden from Tong Tian.
But Tong Tian was also the wiser. As those same years passed, he also learned. He observed his brother. Whenever women tried to get close to him, he always found a way to show just how uninterested he was. Bai LuoYin found ways to keep himself busy, notably with the air force.
Then, Bai LuoYin visited less and less. He moved up in the ranks, so he became occupied with more duties. His training became more intense. But Bai LuoYin would send gifts to Tong Tian to let him know that he had not forgotten about him.
Now, looking at his brother, married, and happy, Tong Tian felt a sense of comfort.
When the food was set on the table, everyone sat down eager to eat.
"Yin Zi," Bai Han Qi spoke calmly, putting food into his bowl, "Gu Hai tells me that you're treating him very badly these days."
Bai LuoYin glared at his husband. It was the look of death. He knew whatever Gu Hai had said, he must have stretched the truth.
Gu Hai grinned at him as if to say, this is your punishment for what you did to me in the living room with my father the other day.
"I don't know what Gu Hai is telling you dad, but he hasn't been so great either," Bai LuoYin said, heaping some chow mein into his dish.
Aunty Zhou laughed. She covered her mouth with her hand and tried to contain herself. In her mind, Gu Hai was a little trouble maker and Bai LuoYin had to endure it because they were married now.
"You two should behave," Ban Han Qi eyed his son. Then he looked over at Gu Hai and said, "Part of a union is trying to come to a compromise."
The boys nodded and ate their food. Even Tong Tian was taking notes. He wanted to be like Gu Hai; troubling his wife and loving her the same.
When they ate the yam cakes, Gu Hai spoke. "We have some news to tell you."
Everyone's attention was on him. They actively gave him their full heed.
"Bai LuoYin and I are having two babies, each of us are fathering a child through surrogacy."
The room was quiet for a few seconds.
Bai Han Qi stood up from his chair slowly and made his way over to his son. He embraced him tightly, then went over to Gu Hai and did the same. When he pulled away, he stepped back, put a hand to his head and then tried to speak. Everyone could see that it was hard for him. He was happy, but the news was overwhelming. He tried to laugh, and it came out stifled. He looked around as if he were lost.
Bai LuoYin stood up and went to his father. He put his hands around him and hugged him again. This time, Ban Han Qi's eyes filled with tears as he rested his chin on his shoulder. They were happy tears.
Bai Han Qi hugged his son and memories came flooding back. He remembered his son, very young, running around the house. He remembered sending Bai LuoYin off to school for the first time. He recalled the first time his son had told him that he couldn't live without Gu Hai. Something in his mind told him then, he would never have grandchildren. If his son liked men, he couldn't have kids.
Today, that thought had disappeared.
"Are you having a child of your own?" Ban Han Qi asked.
"Yes, dad," Bai LuoYin whispered.
His father cried then.
Everyone stood up and came to them. They also threw their arms around each other. The happiness that Gu Hai and Bai LuoYin had brought to their family was beautiful. They all cried happy tears and continued to embrace one another in silence.
It was Tong Tian who broke everyone out of the mood. He said, "I hope everyone is this happy when I am having a child."
Ban Han Qi let his oldest son go and playfully hit his youngest son on the chest, "I'll be happy. But make sure you finish school first!"
Everyone laughed.
Towards the end of the night, all of the men sat at the table drinking Baijiu. The alcoholic beverage had them in a magical intoxication.
"You will have strong sons!" Ban Han Qi slurred his words. He lifted his glass and clinked it with the others.
Gu Hai and Bai LuoYin cheered. Tong Tian's eyes were beginning to glaze and he awayed back and forth, laughing hysterically.
Aunty Zhou had started making something for the new babies. She sat nearby sewing away with a needle and thread, enjoying their conversation.
"I will have a handsome son!" Gu Hai yelled, and drank a shot.
"You will have a fair son!" Tong Tian shouted. He poured more drinks for everyone and they downed it.
"I will have a good son!" Bai LuoYin said. He gobbled down another.
They feasted on some of the pork rolls as they were merry.
Bai Han Qi rose from his seat and went over to Gu Hai, he threw his arms around him and said, "Pick names that are strong!"
Gu Hai nodded.
"I will pick a name that will make you proud!" Bai LuoYin said.
Gu Hai took this opportunity. He quinted his eyes at his lover and asked, "What will you name him?"
Bai LuoYin wiggled a finger at him, "I'm not that drunk you donkey! I will never give up my secrets to you! See dad, he has his tricks! This man you call son-in-law, he is the true schemer!"
"Yin Za..." Bai Han Qi said. He swayed a bit and then drank some more.
Gu Hai laughed intensely. He had to try.