"Ultrasound."

Jiang Yifei was getting bored. Days and days had passed and she was tired of watching television. She wanted to stretch her legs. She asked the chef to make her something simple. Pancakes with toast. She gobbled it down and headed upstairs to see what Ying Yue was up to.
She knocked twice and was invited in. 
“Good morning,” she said.
Ying Yue smiled and sat up in bed. She shoved her pillow behind her back and shifted until she was more comfortable. She wiped her eyes and felt a little hungry. She sniffed the air and asked, “Is there food downstairs?”
Jiang Yifei nodded. “There is fresh orange juice as well.”
Ying Yue yawned, then asked, “Why are you up early? Don’t you usually sleep in later than this?”
“I wanted to go to the mall,” Jiang Yifei said. She moved to sit on the bed. “Do you want to come?”
Ying Yue thought for a moment, then said, “I don’t think that would be wise. I’m safer indoors. If I go out, I run the risk of being seen. My family, my husband, I can’t take that risk.”
Jiang Yifei understood. She felt sorry for her friend. The situation was difficult. She couldn’t be mad at her for wanting to be safe.
“It’s ok,” Jiang Yifei said, getting up from the bed. “I’ll have the driver take me. I won’t be long.”
Ying Yue watched as she walked through the door. Deep down, she had wanted to go. Walking would have been good exercise for her health. When she was still living with her husband, he didn’t allow her to work, so, to pass the time, she would often work out in front of the television. Yoga was fun at times, but she would also jog around the village. 
She missed her neighbors thinking about it. Every morning her next door neighbor would greet her with a wave of the hand and a smile. At one of the street corners, she would stop to buy a bottle of water. The owner would often talk to her about the weather and how many calories she was burning. 
She reached for the television remote and clicked it on. The news was on, so she watched the headlines. 
Husband kills wife because he didn’t like the fact that she had a crush on a male celebrity,” said the anchorwoman.  
Ying Yue’s eyes widened. Some men were stupid, she thought to herself. They let jealousy cloud their judgement. As she looked at the screen, she thought of how his actions would now put him behind bars, or worse yet, dead. She didn’t understand why some people chose to do bad things. She was tired. Tired of having unsupportive family members, tired of being treated badly by her husband, and tired of running. She looked forward to receiving the money after the baby was born. Traveling the world and seeing what else was out there was something that gave her hope. A piece of mind.

Jiang Yifei got ready and asked the gentlemen driver to take her to the closest mall. Even though she had a little money saved up, she was eager to shop. 
When they arrived at the mall, the driver told her where he would meet her after she was done and pulled up into a parking spot. She hurried into the mall to window shop.
Inside, she walked into a shoe shop. Oh, how she loved shoes. Now that she was pregnant, she highly doubted that she would be able to fit into something fancy or cute. But that didn’t stop her from treating her eyes. 
Her next stop was a candy store. Inside, she eyed some chocolates and hard candies. She ended up buying one thing, pink, cotton candy. As she walked out of the store, she munched on her sweet treat, and went to look at dresses next door. 
She saw a few long dresses that she liked displayed on a few mannequins and went inside. The sales representative helped her choose the right one. A white elastic dress with red flower patterns along the bottom. After informing the sales clerk that she was pregnant, they included a discount.
Jiang Yifei walked out of the store a happy woman. She walked around for an hour more, then, because her feet started hurting, she decided to head home.
Bai LuoYin was stressed at work. All of the trainees were having a difficult time doing the flight simulation exercise with their superiors. 
Bai LuoYin yelled at the top of his lungs, “Is this your full potential?! You have been going over these necessary requirements for weeks now! Have you no shame?!” he said to his subordinates with vicious eyes.
All of the men that were lined up in front of him looked humiliated. 
“No one is to set foot on an aircraft until I say so! This will be punishment for the lack of knowledge you have shown me today!” Bai LuoYin barked.
The men before him cringed. Some even gasped at the harsh punishment.
“Everyone will do this exercise again and again. I do not care if you are here until four in the morning! Dismissed!” Bai LuoYin ordered. 
As the men scattered, Bai LuoYin spotted a familiar face grinning in his direction. The familiar face took a step forward and saluted him. Bai LuoYin saluted back, then he realized who he was. 
“Liu Chong!” Bai LuoYin said, closing the distance between them. 
They shook hands, strong, and full of respect.
Liu Chong stepped back and Bai LuoYin could see why he hadn’t recognized him before. His hair was cute very short, almost bald, and he now had a scar above his right eye. His body weight had increased also, but not from fat, it was all muscle.
“Bai LuoYin, you look very tough, as always,” Liu Chong said.
They grinned at eat each and then walked towards an area that was more private.
“How is Gu Hai?” asked Liu Chong.
“Gu Hai is Gu Hai. His business is thriving, his family is well, and he still drives me crazy,” Bai LuoYin said jokingly.
Liu Chong laughed. He had been posted to another base, but had often thought about his friend’s well being. He leaned in close, as if to tell a secret, and asked, “How is the married life?”
Bai LuoYin thought this question was humorous. As a matter of fact, this was the first time someone had asked him this. He often heard people ask this question in the movies. “It’s not as I expected. Things haven’t changed between Gu Hai and I. We still are committed to one another.”
Liu Chong nodded.
“Let’s get something to eat!” Liu Chong said.
Bai LuoYin shook his head, saying, “I can’t. Maybe another time.”
“Aren’t you finished for the day?” Liu Chong asked, checking his watch.
“I am, but I have a doctor’s appointment this evening.”
“Are you not feeling well?”
“No, I am. The appointment is for someone else.”
Liu Chong looked confused.
“Gu Hai and I are having children.”
Liu Chong’s eyes popped out of his head. “Really?” he said, looking down at Bai LuoYin’s stomach. “I heard that our government is great! But I didn’t know it was that great!”
Bai LuoYin playfully pinched him on the side of his arm. “You fool! Not me! We are having children through surrogacy.” 
Liu Chong rubbed his arm and laughed. “Oh! I thought it was finally possible for a man to get pregnant.”
Bai LuoYin wanted to punch him in the head.
“Can you imagine yourself with a huge belly?!” Liu Chong said, gesturing with his hands and arms.
Bai LuoYin whacked him on the hands until he stopped.
They laughed. 
“It’s good to see you,” Liu Chong said, “congratulations on the baby.” 
Bai LuoYin agreed. He was happy to see his friend. Liu Chong reminded him of how much harder it was back then, compared to the present day, where he was happier. 
“Babies,” Bai LuoYin said.
Liu Chong blinked at him a few times.
“We are having two,” Bai LuoYin informed.
“Two babies?!” Liu Chong said, shocked. 
“Yes.”
“Can you and Gu Hai handle two? I’ll have to come and babysit.” 
“Not you!” Bai LuoYin scolded, “you never were responsible enough!”
Liu Chong laughed.