"Those Eight Long Years."

Saturday morning, Gu Hai and Bai LuoYin stayed in bed. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and the air was clear of congestion of any kind. It was so peaceful and quiet.
Gu Hai stirred in bed. He had been awake for a while now. His mind went over the events of yesterday. When he heard the baby's heartbeat, he had lost control of his senses. He tucked his arm behind his head and looked up at the ceiling. Cool air blew through the windows and caressed his bare chest.
Bai LuoYin sighed next to him and pulled the white sheets from around his face to looked at Gu Hai. He could see that he was deep in thought. His eyes explored his chest and then lower, to his happy trail. He enjoyed looking at all the muscles that Gu Hai worked so hard to get over the last year.
Bai LuoYin shifted on the bed until he was laying face up, looking at the ceiling also.
Gu Hai reached over and took his hand in his own. He lifted Bai LuoYin's hand and kissed it gently. Then, he rested their hands on his chest.
"Are you happy, Bai LuoYin?" Gu Hai asked, "I mean, truly happy."
Bai LuoYin smiled. He remembered hearing the baby's heartbeat and how that moment in time made him feel. He nodded, then realized that Gu Hai couldn't see, so he said, "Yes, I'm very happy."
"Thank you," Gu Hai said.
This made Bai LuoYin look over at him. "For what?" he said.
Gu Hai let out a long sigh. "For loving me," he said softly, "for allowing me to love you." He turned his face and looked at his wife. "Thank you for making me the happiest man alive."
Bai LuoYin smiled. It didn't reach his eyes, but to was enough to say, I do love you.
They shifted their bodies again, sideways, so that they could look into each other's eyes.
Gu Hai grazed Bai LuoYin's cheek with his hand as he spoke again. "Thank you for putting up with me. I know that I can be difficult at times. Thank you for being so loving."
"You're welcome," Bai LuoYin said. He reached over and ran a finger over Gu Hai's eyebrows. He took in every inch of his skin. Like eye candy, he ate every curve of his handsome body.
Gu Hai secretly loved the way his wife trespassed on his flesh and body with his eyes and hands. He eyed his wife's lips. Oh, how he wanted to taste that plump fruit. He wanted to take that bottom lip into his mouth and suck on it, make it red and swollen, as if a mosquito had interfered with it. Instead, he left it alone. Being in bed with his lover was nice. Looking at one another was nice, even though little Gu was rising under the sheets. He wondered if he would pitch a tent if he turned to lay on his back again. He also wondered what his wife would do if he saw it.
Thankfully, Bai LuoYin spoke. "Are you happy?" he asked.
Gu Hai nodded.
"I know that I get upset with you over small things, like calling me your wife," Bai LuoYin frowned, "but I wouldn't have it any other way." He smiled.
Gu Hai laughed. It shook his entire chest.
Bai LuoYin playfully slapped him on the shoulder. "I'm being serious with you!"
Gu Hai stopped laughing and pulled him into a tight embrace. "I know," he said, kissing the top of his wife's head.
They took a breath together, as one.
Being together like this must be what heaven was like. Just being in each other's presence calmed their souls. Whenever Bai LuoYin was wrapped up in Gu Hai's arms, he felt safe. He felt like nothing in the world could affect them.
For Gu Hai, if he had his loving wife beside him, he could rule the world. Those eight long years, after the car accident, had been filled with loneliness. When he had finished his therapy, so that his legs and body could heal properly, he tried to stay focus. He tried his best not to think of Bai LuoYin, but, everything and everyone had reminded him of the man he had fallen in love with. Those eight years felt as if they had dragged out into twenty longer years. His friends had tried to set him up on dates so that he could move on with his life. But he refused each and every one of them. Eight long years had been filled with sleepless nights. Most times, he had dreamt of Bai LuoYin. In all of those dreams, they were happy, filled with laughter and love. There were times he dreamed of when they were back in school. Even though their younger days were hard at times, they had been together.
After some time, he fought to stay focused on creating a bright future for himself. But he always had longed for Bai LuoYin to be in his arms. He had built up an empire, named it HaiYin, saved Bai LuoYin's picture on his laptop, and lived an empty life. The pain of losing Bai LuoYin had deadened his heart and nerves.
He had watched countless movies, all to keep his mind from drifting back to his lover, but always failed. He traveled a bit, ate at expensive reataurants, prayed, played sports, all to keep his mind occupied, but failed. It wasn't until he had met Bai LuoYin again at the Public Security Bureau, that he knew his love was stronger than he thought. He knew then, at that very place, that his love was stronger than steel or diamond itself. When they had locked eyes, and the air had frozen, his heart had called out. Every atom in his body loved Bai LuoYin.
All the memories of them together came rushing back all at once when they had met that day. When Bai LuoYin had told him he had grown taller, Gu Hai had said, I had legs lengthening surgery. The word, Ge, came to mind. The wedding he had planned with Yan Ya Jing, the slip of tongue about the laptop, the way Bai LuoYin admitted he was single. No one wants you, Gu Hai had questioned. When their shoulders had touched for the first time, after that long eight years, it had felt as if their hearts had raged. Even at the banquet hall, at the Exhibition Centre, when they fought in the men's room, he knew that he loved Bai LuoYin. Nothing in the world would or could have changed that.
Today, he knew that Gu Yang was a bastard for lying to him about Bai LuoYin being abroad all those years ago. Even though the lie Gu Yang had made up was to bring him out of his depression, his love for Bai LuoYin was too powerful, he never wanted to except it. To have Bai LuoYin lost forever was a thought that he did not want to except.
"What are you thinking about?" Bai LuoYin asked. He could see that Gu Hai was deep in thought.
Gu Hai shook his head, "Nothing."
"I highly doubt it was nothing. The look in your eyes tells me different," Bai LuoYin said.
Gu Hai changed the subject. He didn't want to relive the past. The past only made him feel sad. Instead, he asked, "Do you honestly think we can raise two babies?"
Bai LuoYin sighed and said, "It is too late to change our minds now. Soon, they will be here. We have to be responsible."
Gu Hai nodded. His eyes were glued to Bai LuoYin's lips as he said, "If I'm with you, I can do anything."
Those words melted Bai LuoYin's heart. They leaned into each other and kissed. It was warm, tender, and full of love.