1.0 Jealous!Reader x Donnie x April

peach1442

When Love Don't Love You Back

By Christian Paul

*Words written like this are song lyrics*

Maybe I was wrong, you thought to yourself. You thought there was something there. You thought you felt something.

You thought Donnie could be your happily ever after.

You and Donnie were inseparable from the beginning. He shared his heartbreak with April with you and you comforted him. As time continued, you found yourself falling for the mutant turtle, but you were too afraid to tell him. You felt that it might be too soon to announce your feelings for the turtle who had just gotten over his first love.

You finally gained the courage to tell him the truth two months later.

Donnie was testing his latest upgrade on the Shell Raiser. You handed him the tools he needed to add his finishing touches on the machine.

"Uh, hey, Don?" You mumble.

"Wrench please." He stuck his hand out from under the Shell Raiser. "What's up, y/n?"

You waited a moment as you watched him fiddle with the wrench. "I need to tell you something. It's kind of important."

He rolled out from underneath the vehicle. Sitting up, he raised his goggles so he could look you in the face. He nodded his head, his way of motioning for you to continue.

You played with your shirt sleeve and looked down. You didn't want to make eye contact with the purple masked turtle as you told him about how you feel. "I-I think I may like you Donnie."

He smiled a bit, giving you the slightest amount of confidence. "Well, I would hope you like me. We're best friends. It would be weird if you didn't. Drill please."

The little bit of confidence you felt dissolved. You knew there was no chance that he liked you back from the way he responded. You sigh and force a smile onto your face. "Right. Here you go."

He lightly punched you in the shoulder with a grin on his face before he returned to the task he was previously doing. About an hour later, April sauntered onto the scene. She gently kicked at his feet to get his attention.

"Hold on, y/n. After I fix this last part, the upgrade will be-"

April giggled. "Donnie, it's me."

Donnie's body froze for a second before he started to scramble to get up. A loud bang was heard, followed by an "ow" before he finally stuck his head out from under the Shell Raiser. He stood and kissed April. She started explaining this new project she was working on. They walked away, leaving you alone.

You thought to yourself, I guess I didn't see the signs that something changed.

You weren't sure when the two had become official, but it killed you inside to see Donnie back in love with her. You looked at the picture of you and Donnie on your phone that you guys took a month ago after one of his experiments blew up in your faces. Your smile turned into a frown as you found yourself lost in your thoughts. Now I'm all alone, staring at your photograph, wishing I could get you back, but it's too late.

You soon realized that the couple weren't going to come back anytime soon. You got up from your seated position and decided to take a walk around the city. The sun was just about to set. You trudged on through the city, letting your feet guide you home. You turned your music up loud, hoping the blasting sound in your ears would cancel out your thoughts about how it hurts when love don't love you back.

Just as you began to feel a little better, you lifted your head and caught sight of Donnie and April at the park. They were laughing as he pushed her on the swing. Your heart and your mind argued about what to do. Should you keep walking or stop and say something?

You decided to speak up. "Donnie!"

He turned around in your direction. You sent him a shy wave, but all he did was look away and put his focus back on April. Your body froze mid-wave. Donnie just ignored you for someone who ignored him for years. You pulled up your hood, turned your music back up, and looked down at the ground as you finished your walk home.

You flopped down in your bed, lying in the dark. You curled up in a ball, feeling the pang of jealously until you managed to fall asleep, dreaming about what used to be.

~~~~~

The rest of the turtles text you everyday, wondering when you will return to the lair. It had been two weeks since you showed up. You used to go at least twice a week, but right now the last person you wanted to see was Donnie. Mikey sent you another text:

Pls come over. We hv ur fav pizza :)

Mikey knew you'd never turn down food. You smiled a little as you put your shoes on.

When you arrived at the lair, Mikey tackled you in a hug. Leo and Raph greeted you in a much calmer manner. Casey fist bumped you and sat next to you as Mikey pulled out the pizza. You took a slice, grinning at Mikey. The sound of two people laughing came from the kitchen. April and Donnie walked out, hand in hand, sharing a milk shake. How cliche, you thought to yourself. You continued to frown at the couple.

"You like him, huh?" Casey nudged your side.

You sighed. "That noticeable?"

He gave you a smile smile. "Hey, anyone who ever loved somebody knows how it hurts," He nodded towards April, "when love don't love you back."

You give Casey a sad smile. "I mean, you try and you try, but you can't say goodbye."

Casey finished your thoughts. "And we keep on holding on for the feel of the light."

You nod your head. "Exactly. I'm glad someone understands me."

Casey grinned. "Hey, it's you and me against heartbreak now."

You felt part of the burden be lifted off of your shoulders. Now you had someone who could help you get over Donnie while you helped him get over April.