13.0 Leo x Jaelyn

Next: Donnie x Aria

Later: Raph x Nini

AnxietyWolf36

Jaelyn sat next to her turtle best friend as he obsessed over his favorite TV show again. Her blue-gray eyes scanned the TV screen. She was still unsure how he was able to actually like Space Heroes. Nevertheless, his eyes were glued to Captain Ryan's every move. He had an arm wrapped around her, excitedly shaking her because something "exciting" happened. She smiled at him as she played with her brown-auburn hair, not wanting to downplay his eagerness for the show.

"All of that TV is going to rot your brains." Raphael said as he strolled into the room.

Jaelyn snickered sarcastically. "Not if your body odor does it first."

Surprisingly, this didn't anger Raph. He always appreciated a good comeback, especially when it came from someone who is usually shy and quiet. He fist bumped Jaelyn and continued walking to his room. "I just finished working out. What's your boyfriend's excuse?"

If Leo had heard this, he showed no signs of it. Jaelyn rolled her eyes playfully at the red cladded turtle. "You know we're not dating, Raph."

He smirked and gave her a knowing look. Mikey came flying into the room excitedly as soon as Raph plopped down on the bean bag. He yelled something about a pizza emergency as he flew past the TV. This caught Leonardo's attention, finally, due to the disturbance of his view of the screen.

"Oh, so the Space Heroes Zombie lives?" Jaelyn joked, nudging Leo in his side. "I thought you had stopped breathing there for a while when you stopped blinking."

Leo lightly pushed her and returned his gaze to the piece of technology he found fascinating at the moment. "Tease all you want. Everyone online is talking about Crankshaw giving a secret message in morse code at the towards the end of the episode, but no one is posting what he actually said."

"So, you're going to sit there with your eyes glued on the screen for that?" Raphael asked. Leo simply nodded since his attention was now back on the show. Raph was unamused. "Pfft, nerd."

When the scene finally came, Leo fanboyed loudly and fished a piece of paper and pen from thin air to write down the message. As the end titles played, he translated the message. "Danger. Oh, man I can't wait to see what will happen next season! They made it seem like it all ended peacefully, but clearly Crankshaw knows something!"

Donatello was the one who saved... I mean interrupted, everyone from Leonardo's rant session. He sprinted out from the lab, calling the youngest turtle brother into the room with everyone else. "Guys, ahem, and lady, the Kraang and the Foot are partnering again! I managed to hack into one of the Footbot's transmission feed."

"What are they planning?" Leo suddenly turned serious.

Donnie stood in the middle of the room. "From what it sounds like the Kraang want to mutate more people, and if the Foot helps them to kidnap civilians, the Kraang will let the mutants serve as Shredder's minions."

Michelangelo munched on the slice of pizza he ran across the lair to get. "How does that help the Kraang though? Why mutate people if you're going to turn them over to Shredder?"

"My guess is that it makes them one closer to turning Earth into another Dimension X. Sure, they won't own the mutants, but it makes New York easier to take over with less people to worry about." The genius hypothesized.

"Well, what are we waiting for?" The hotheaded brother asked. "Sounds like we got some butt to kick." He stood up and ran to the dojo to retrieve his twin sai. The rest of the brothers followed.

Jaelyn couldn't help but have a bad feeling sink into her stomach. She felt some of her anxiety start to set in. Leo noticed the look of discomfort in her eyes when he returned. He placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

He smiled confidently. "Hey, it's okay. I always come back, don't I?"

She smiled weakly at him. "Yeah, but I feel like this is too much for the four of you to handle alone. You're facing the Foot and the Kraang. Not to mention the mutagen that's involved. Maybe you should call the Mutanimals in to help."

The leader laughed lightly. "Jaelyn, I assure you we'll be okay. We got it handled." He pulled her into a tight hug. "I'll see you tonight when we get back."

The brothers raced off through the sewers. They hadn't even disclosed the location they would be fighting at before they left. Jaelyn watched the exit silently until the echoes of the turtles' voices no longer were audible. Sighing to herself, she sank back into the couch and awaited their return.

But once midnight struck, she knew something was wrong. They had been gone since six. The bad feeling in her stomach grew with each passing minute. Leo had not picked up any of her phone calls, nor had any of his brothers. She tries to hold her self together, but her anxiety currently felt like a ticking time bomb.

Jaelyn played with the ripped fabric on her black skinny jeans to try to ease her way out of her anxious state. Her attention then turned to the tension in her shoulders. Leo often coaxed her out of these times, so she imagined him talking her through an anxiety attack.

"Focus on your breathing." Leo would say in a soothing tone. "Relax your body and breathe."

 Finally, she heard the mumble of voices near the entrance. Her head whipped around and made eye contact with her closest friend limping into the lair. She ran up to the siblings, sad eyes catching sight of their many bruises. Tears streamed down her face, imagining all the things that could have gone wrong. 

Helping Mikey to the couch, she ran to the freezer to get ice packs for them. She then retrieved Donnie's first aid kit from his lab. She held her sobbing back, not wanting to burden them with her emotions when they were already going through so much. She finished patching up Leonardo's injuries. His brothers had returned to their designated living quarters.

She sat down beside him, making sure to keep her face turned away from him so he couldn't see her tears. Leo knew Jaelyn, though. He knew it would hurt her to see him, or his brothers, in this state. He was so confident about the mission when they had left, but she had been right about it. They needed back up. It was why they were there so long fighting.

Leo placed a hand on her shoulder to catch her attention. He wiped a tear from her face. "Hey, we're going to be okay. We can take a hit."

She smiled sadly and placed her right hand on top of his that rested on her shoulder. "I worried all night, Leo. I know you told me it would be fine, but I panicked. It's even worse to see that my worries came true."

He grabbed her hand. "It's good that you worried. If you wouldn't have put the idea of calling the Mutanimals, who knows what could be happening to us right now. We called them an hour or so after we broke in. They came as soon as they could, but by then we were already in deep trouble. You were right."

Jaelyn cried even harder, burying her face in her hands. "That's even worse. I wish I could have been wrong about it all. I'd rather have worried over nothing than to see you like this."

Leo's heart pounded in his chest. He hated seeing her like this. He had come to love her so much. Usually, he knew how to help, but this time he didn't know what to do. It was his fault she was so panicked in the first place. 

He went off on a limb and hoped what he said next would help things. "Jaelyn, I, uh... You are amazing and..." He sighed deeply, a blush covering his face when she looked at him. "What I'm trying to say is that I love how much you care for me and for my brothers. I love how you are so shy and quiet, but sarcastic and funny at the same time. Your anxiety is apart of who you are and I'm always going to be here to help you through it because I love you."

Jaelyn allowed a smile to grace her lips. "You love me?"

"With all of my heart. I know now may not have been the best time to tell you, but I didn't know what else to say. I wanted to-"

He stopped abruptly when she kissed him on the cheek. "I love you too."

Leonardo held the side of his face where her lips had just been with a boyish grin on his face. "Even when I obsess over Space Heroes?"

"Especially then."