Avengers ⇛ Unsteady

Inspired by the song Unsteady
I'm not writing the plot cause it would probably spoil it. But i guess heads up, it's sad and might be sensitive for some people.

"Ouch." You groaned and wrapped and your arms around your stomach.

"You okay?" Steve looked at you.

"Yeah, I think. I don't know just cramps probably."

He nodded then continued reading the newspaper. You got up and started walking to your bedroom, hoping that a nap would make you feel better. But as you started walking, a wave of heaviness sank through your body.

"Y/n, you look like you've seen a ghost." Tony smiled.

"I just feel sick." You whined.

"Take a nap."

"I am."

Finally you got to your bed, straight away you shut your eyes and drifted off into sleep.

You were expecting to wake up like an hour later as that's what normally happens, but today was different. It was dark and you felt like you were being watched. Slowly, you opened your eyes, letting them adjust to the dark. In the corner were a couple of dark figures, and there was one standing above you. Instead of feeling terrified like you normally would, you were just confused and tired.

"Y/n you're awake!" Natasha whisper yelled and walked over to you.

You tried to respond but nothing was coming out.

"Calm down." It was Tony's voice.

He saw you beginning to panic. A cough escaped your mouth, but it left a few drops of blood on your sheets.

"We need to take her to the hospital." Bucky's breathing picked up.

You wanted to say that you're fine. It was just one cough. If your voice would actually cooperate, you would also want to ask why they are here. But it seems like Natasha read your mind.

"You had a nap at like 2pm and we didn't want to wake you cause you looked quite ill, so we all went to bed. But Friday woke us up, alerting us that 'there was unusual activity coming from your room.' So we decided only a few of us would come in and see what was happening. Y/n... you were shaking frantically, you were sweating but your lips were blue, and you were talking in your sleep, saying 'when will it end.'"

You tilted your head. You hadn't felt anything, it just felt like a normal nap.

"Alright we are taking you to the hospital."

.:. Time Skip .:.

The team rushed you into the hospital, making a huge deal out of it. Everything just looked liked it was all in slow motion. But it eventually got to much, making you pass out.

Hold on to me, cause I'm a little unsteady, a little unsteady.

White. White is what filled your vision, white lights, white walls. This wasn't your bedroom, you started panicking. Your breathing picked up, which starting clogging your throat. Beeping from beside you started picking up its pace, alerting the nurses. Three of them came in and immediately went beside you.

"W-what's happening!? Where am I!?"

"Hey, just relax, you're going to be fine." The nurse completely ignored your question.

They did some stuff to you, you were unsure what. All the feeling left your body, you just felt... there.

Mumma, come here, approach, appear.

It had been a week, a week in the same hospital bed. Each day was the same, you woke up for a little while, feeling nothing but pain, then passed out again. You didn't know what the team was doing, did they even want to see you?
That's what you didn't know, they were visiting you, constantly. It had just always been when you were asleep. It was killing them to see you like this, in so much pain. And you just didn't look like yourself anymore... even after one week.

Your eyes slowly fluttered open, like the usual, you had a panic attack. It happened whenever you woke up. Instead of hearing the nurses around you, you felt a different presence. The team was here and they were waiting for you to wake up, which you had. Steve, Nat and Bruce were trying to calm you down, whilst the others got nurses.

"W-what's happening to me?" You lip twitched, holding back tears.

Daddy, I'm alone, this house don't feel like home.

It had now been 3 months. It was getting worse and worse, the pain, the feeling of nothing. It was slowly getting to much. Your family, which were the Avengers, were practically always with you. They couldn't leave you alone like this.
It had been declared that your illness was a mystery. Despite all the blood tests, scans and even surgery, no one could detect what you had. However, there was one thing they did find out; you weren't getting better anytime soon.
Not only was this making the team miserable, it was making the public worried sick. They told everyone about you around 2 months ago. Then they announced that it seemed like you weren't getting better. At least once a week, fireworks would fill the sky, showing how much everyone cares for you. Your window has the best view for it, you seem paralysed every time you see it.
The feeling grew each day, not the pain anymore, the feeling that you were just fading away. It was like you didn't belong here anymore, if felt like you were disappearing. Just a body with you hiding in it.

But if you love me, don't let go.

6 months. 6 whole months. Like suspected, nothing was working to make you feel better. The feeling was still growing, around 1 month ago, you slowed your eating down. You just couldn't do it, your body wasn't working, it was slowing down. When the team came to visit you, only a little bit of you felt happiness, the little bit of you that was left. You could see the sadness in their eyes, how much they missed you. Majority of the time you just didn't want them to see you like this. This wasn't you.

Each day, you were getting worse, slowing down, maybe for good. Looking outside didn't give you the same happy feeling it used to. It made you feel sad, like you were completely stuck. On the TV in your hospital room, which was now completely filled with flowers, you always had the news on. Only because it always showed what the public were doing for you. In many places, people had spray painted your symbol with quotes like 'you're strong, you can do this' or 'don't give up. We are fighting with you.' It made you unspeakably happy knowing that they still had hope for you. But then it made you sink, because you know that you couldn't give it back to them.
Maybe one day you would feel okay again.

Hold,
Hold on,
Hold on to me,
Cause I'm a little unsteady

Then the pain stopped. Your feeling of nothingness went away. In this place, you felt like you again.

Once the news spread across, everyone was so distraught. You had such a huge impact on everyone. The amount of people you helped, the amount of smiles you bought to people, you were their happiness.

That night, the skies were lit just for you. The grounds were covered in flowers, just for you. The team showed their love for you each and every day, despite their pain. They did it for you.

And you could see it all. You could see the coloured skies. The beautiful grounds. The candles on the paths. The memorials. All of it. Their love was so strong, you could feel it even through all the clouds.
They say that rain is your tears and the sunlight is your happiness. But they finally understood, it was your way of sending down you. Your love, your thanks, your hope. You were letting the world know that you were still there, protecting them. No matter where you were.

A little unsteady.