Steve ⇛ Trust

Prompt: "I trusted you..."
(I'm sorry on behalf!)

"Welcome Y/n!"

"Thanks!" You grinned and hugged Steve.

"I'm so glad you're here."

"Me too."

You pulled apart then looked over his shoulder, seeing the others behind him. Steve must have seen your gaze, since he turned around and smiled.

"Oh, this is the team!"

He introduced everyone and what they did. They all seemed really nice and welcoming, gosh this was going to be hard.

"Let's go inside." Steve smiled and put his arm around your shoulder.

.:. Time Skip - A Few Days Later .:.

Everyone on the team had warmed up to you, loving your company. Well all except one. Bucky had been quite distant to you. But, you knew why, you were hoping you were wrong however.

"Morning." You smiled as you walked into the living room with a steaming cup of coffee.

"Good morning Y/n." Thor spoke with a mouth stuffed with pop tarts.

You laughed and everyone else greeted you, well not Bucky but that's not unusual.

"Any plans today since we have the day of?" Steve asked.

"I have nothing planned." Natasha responded.

"We could go to the beach?"

"That sounds fun." You smiled.

"I have things... to do." Bucky got up and walked off.

"What's up with him?" Tony lowered his magazine.

"Who knows."

——

"Buck, open up please."

"I'm busy."

"I need to talk to you."

"About what?"

Steve got Friday to open the door, making Bucky groan.

"What's going on with you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Ever since Y/n has arrived, you've been incredibly blunt."

"I haven't..."

"Yes, yes you have."

Steve looked at Bucky, he didn't look like his happy self. Instead, he looked quite tensed, a bit of worry wiping over his occasionally.

"It's just... I remember something about Y/n... and it's not good." Bucky looked up.

"Remember what?" Steve tensed up.

"Steve, I think I recognise her from Hydra..."

There was a pause.

"That's ridiculous. She's my sister and she would definitely not do anything like that. She tells me anything, so she would most certainly tell me about her work."

"Well what has she told you about her career?" He turned to Steve.

Once again, Steve paused.

"She hasn't said anything recently... but that doesn't mean she works for Hydra!"

Bucky just hugged and rolled his eyes.

"Suit yourself." He got up and left Steve.

———

"Hey Y/n, I was wonder-" Steve paused outside your door, hearing you on the phone.

"They haven't suspected a thing... well I think Bucky may have. But honestly, I'm not surprised, after all, we did basically create him." You chuckled.

"What have I found out? Nothing to interesting. We haven't really done any huge fights, but I have seen their combat. Yes, yes I know their strengths and weaknesses, I definitely got that part."

There was a pause.

"Hail Hydra." You said softly, then hung up.

Steve gasped and immediately felt nothing but anger, well, and betrayal. He burst the door open and clenched his fists.

"Ah Steve! You scared me!" You smiled innocently.

"Don't play dumb with me Y/n."

"I didn't say any-"

"So Hydra... what's it like there?"

You rolled your eyes.

"Eavesdropping... I don't like people who do that."

"Quit it! You had me believe you were a lovely person. You made me think that you- that you were my sister." He choked up on the last part.

You had to admit, it really did tug at your heart to see him like this. The two of you had always been so close, and it not only hurt him, it hurt you to do this.

"Steve, I'm sorry. But this is what I do. You risk your life for the Avengers, I risk my life for Hydra."

"I trusted you..." He whispered.

"That's your fault." You said quietly as well, trying to not admit that you were as well sad.

If only he knew the reason why you were doing this.. then it would all be different.

"I just can't believe this. We all let you in with open arms. I can't even imagine what the others will say when they find out!"

"They won't find out!" You said sternly.

"How can they live with their enemy. Bucky already knows, hell he tried to warn me about you! They will find out one way or another, either you'll spit it out, or I will."

"Well, we can't risk that can we. I know I definitely won't admit anything, you hadn't suspected anything. So... Steve, the problem is you."

He looked up at you, his eyes had changed. They weren't the loving blue they used to be. They looked broken.

"Steve, I'm sorry. It's the only way." You choked up.

At first he was confused, but his eyes widened, seeing what you were doing. Before he could say anything, a bang filled your room. You lowered your gun and tilted your head in sadness. Steve slowly fell to the floor, clutching his chest.

"You're, not the Y/n I-I... know." He sputtered out, before taking his last breathe.

"I hope you can find her."

You let a tear fall down your cheek as you lightly grazed your thumb against his cheek.

"Find her before they do." You whispered.

A beep cut you out of your trans, it was the phone Hydra gave you. It informed you on your missions or commands from the Hydra Base. You gently placed it back in your pocket, before taking one last look at your dead brother.
Footsteps from the other side of the door made you jump. Then they started banging on the door. Without a second glanced, you leaped out of the window, every trace of you completely gone.