Steve ⇛ Changes

Plot: You and Steve have been together for a while, but things just don't seem right. Then something happens which makes you worry about the relationship.

I saw this prompt on Pinterest and I thought it was a cool idea!

Your body slowly slid to the bathroom floor as you looked at the sign. Pregnant. The test was positive, you didn't even need to question it. The constant mood changes, missing your cycle, huge stomach pains and craving odd foods. You wanted to be happy, but this is all happening at the wrong time. Let's just say, you and Steve weren't in the best place right now.

You've been dating him for 2 years, when you first became an Avenger. However, over the past few months, you've noticed a few things. Sometimes he doesn't sleep in the bed anymore, he randomly gets cold towards you and suddenly he's started comparing you to the Carter family. But the thing that was really significant was how comfortable he was around Sharon. It seemed like they were usually flirting or always around each other. It's now starting to become very obvious.

The door started to open to the bedroom, so you quickly hid the test and cleaned yourself up. Then there was a knock at the door.

"Yes?" You opened it.

It was Steve.

"Fury called, we have an emergency mission. You, me, Tony, Nat, Bucky, Bruce and Clint. You should probably suit up."

You nodded, hoping it wasn't anything to dangerous.

"You okay?" He didn't seemed concerned at all, just trying to break the silence.

"Uh yeah, let's get ready." You smiled and walked past him, collected your suit then went back to the bathroom to change.

Steve went to get his suit and left to get changed god knows where. The suit still slipped onto you fine, but if you were to look closely, you could tell there was a bump. After taking a few deep breaths, you made you're way to where the jet was.

Everyone was there apart from Clint, but he didn't take long to arrive. Soon you were all strapped in and on your way. It turns out that the mission is taking down an undercover Hydra base, perfect...

It landed and you all took your positions around the base and began the ambush. Everything was going well, you were hidden in a hallway getting ready to take out your final target. Out of nowhere, you felt a sudden pain in your torso. You looked down and saw a bullet in your side. Immediately you felt weak, not from the pain, but from what you had probably lost.

"Guys I'm down." You choked a bit.

"Is it bad?" Tony questioned.

"A shot below my ribs."

"I'm on my way." You could hear Steve running, it seemed like he may have actually cared, just maybe.

You don't know how long it took for him to get to you. The last thing you remember was feeling awfully sick then passing out. Now you were adjusting to a bright light and a comfortable surroundings. Once your eyes focused, it was easy to realise you were in the hospital part of the tower. Overlooking you was Bruce was staring at the table.

"Oh thank god you're awake!" He went over to you.

"Uh yeah... So what happened?" You rubbed your head.

"On the mission, you got shot then passed out. Steve managed to get you to the jet in time and we got you here. Honestly, we weren't sure if you would have made it."

You wanted to ask the question, but at the same time you didn't. But he seemed to read your mind.

"Y/n, why didn't you say something?"

"Huh?"

"You know what I'm talking about. When I was scanning you for other injuries or other effects from the bullet, I came across the baby..."

You stayed silent.

"I'm sorry, it didn't make it." He instantly saddened for you, holding your hand.

Tears filled up your eyes and you began to feel hot. Your heart rate picked up making breathing tough. The heart monitor picked it up and started moving rapidly.

"Hey calm down."

"How am I meant to be calm when my baby just died?" Tears flowed down your cheek.

Bruce was about to say something, but the door bursted open. The whole team walked in looking very worked up and panicked.

"We heard the monitor pick up, is she okay?" Nat walked over to you.

Bruce glanced at you, unsure what to say.

"Sort of..."

"What's wrong? Why are you crying?" Tony went over to you as well.

"She got shot... of course she's going to be upset!" Clint sighed.

"Y/n, you've been badly injured before.. a lot worse then this and you weren't crying. Somethings wrong." Steve sat by your bed, he finally didn't look so cold to you.

You and Bruce looked at each other, not sure to keep it a secret or not.

"Okay you clearly know something, can you please share?" He was getting a bit frustrated.

Desperately you wanted to tell him, but you also wanted to keep it to yourself. You knew he'd react badly, you didn't need that right now.

"Um." You gulped.
"The bullet didn't kill me, but... it killed our baby..." More tears fell from your eyes.

As much as you didn't want to look at him, you had to, to see how he reacted.

You two locked eyes, he was finally showing you a feeling. But it wasn't happiness. Steve stood up and left without a word. The rest of the team were also quite confused. You turned around on your bed and let some more tears fall. It felt like you  just lost the two most important beings in your life in the time span of one day.