Steve ⇛ No Promises

Requested
Plot: You and Steve have been dating for some time. Before the relationship, you had an accident, causing you to make bad decisions.

!You are a male reader in this!

Warning: This might be a bit triggering for some people as it mentions sensitive topics such as addictions. Please don't read if you aren't comfortable with this stuff :)

Your eyes flashed open, sweat was scattered all over you. The clock beside you read 3:12AM, making you gulp. It was another nightmare, a nightmare about the accident. Steve was still asleep beside you, sleeping peacefully so you didn't want to wake him up, not again.

Quietly you slipped out of bed and guided your way through the dark, holding onto anything you could feel. Finally you could feel the dresser, then felt beside it your cane. Your legs wobbled a bit but you managed to gain your balance with the help of your cane. Carefully, you found your way to the door, still sweating from a few minutes ago. The door creaked open slightly, but not enough to wake Steve.

The hallway felt a lot longer at night, giving you a bad feeling. This made you feel the urge to go faster. As you went to place your cane to the floor, for a split second you felt the floor become uneven. Then bang, the floor greeted you. An excruciating pain simmered through your legs and abdomen. Silently you screamed on the floor, biting your knuckles to reduce any noise from coming out. You knew if you stayed like this any longer, Steve would eventually find you, for sure being woken up by your fall. As quick as you could, you balanced yourself and got up, continuing your way to the kitchen area. Steve would be coming to find you any moment now, giving you a horrible feeling in your chest.

With one hand still gripping your walking stick, the other was opening a familiar cabinet, the medical cabinet. It was hard to get the basket down with your hand shaking unstoppably. But you managed to place it on the bench and immediately start rummaging through the boxes and packaging. As you found the right ones, you poured out the packets, shaking the box onto the bench. You knew perfectly well that it was only one tablet when needed or one certain pill before bed. One night though, you unintentionally took more then which was prescribed. The feeling was different then just taking 1 pill, to you at least. The first time you felt that feeling was when those two oddly shaped drugs fell down your throat.

You popped the different tablets out of its packaging to your hand, then immediately into your mouth. You stumbled your way to the sink having lost your walking stick on the floor somewhere. The tap turned on and you tilted your head under it, catching some of the cool liquid. You gulped it all down in one go and leaned on the bench. Your head resting on your arms, unknowingly letting tears fall from your
almond shaped eyes. Slowly your pulse got louder and louder, until it was the only thing you could hear. This wasn't because of the pills, it was the adrenaline of feeling so lonely and out of place. Then more and more unexplainable feelings took over your body, sending you to the ground with a small thud.

"Y/n?? Oh my god there you are." A voice echoed through your mind.

You felt your eyes being lifted up but you couldn't see anything, just a blur.

"Look at me!"

"Come on, you can get out of this, you've done it before and today is no different."

The pulsing stopped, leaving a killer headache and no energy to carry your head.

"Hey, hey... you're alright, look at me please."

Your eyes could finally register Steve who was kneeling in front of you. God he looked so tired but so awake at the same time.

"I'm so sorry." Your voice was hoarse and you let another tear trail down.

"I'm sorry, I'm so so so sorry." Your hands pulled through your short brown hair.

"Stop saying sorry." He held your chin and made you look at him.

"It breaks my heart seeing you like this then apologising for it? You have no need to say sorry for any of this, none of this is your fault." You could hear how broken he truely sounded.

"It's all my fault, why can't you see that?"

"Why can't you see that none of this is your fault? The man who did this to you is the only one we can put the blame on and the only one we will put the blame on. And I get that it hurts, and the nightmares, I know you have them. It's perfectly fine that you are struggling, but I just wish your way of coping wasn't like this." He gestured to the mess on the floor beside you.

"God me too, but if I knew how to stop I would have by now." You muttered gloomily.

"Honestly, I'm not asking you to suddenly stop doing this because I know that would be practically impossible and I know that it gives you a relief. But please just talk to me and promise I can help you. It's ripping me apart knowing how broken you are but it's killing me knowing you're doing this alone."

An ugly sob escaped your mouth and sweat picked up over your chest and around your neck. You fell into Steve and stayed there, on the kitchen floor with all sorts of bottles and boxes around you.

You really did feel a bit better knowing Steve was going to try to help you. But how can he get you to stop if you can't do it yourself? You wish you could promise him you'd stop, but you don't know how those words could form in your mouth, let alone how those words could control your dangerous decisions.

——————————-
ugh wow sorry that i literally took years to update. i've had literally zero motivation but at the same time i've had so many ideas but then just no energy to write them xisjdjjd. anyway this request was really cool but really challenging to write and i hope you all enjoy it and don't find it cheesy or anything cause it was a really good idea :)

and i apologise for all the errors and spelling mistakes i'm just so tired lmao

alsooo, remember if you have any requests or small ideas, please pm me or comment them! i love hearing everyone's amazing ideas :)