Episode 4: Flames of Emotions

[Munil- Outside]

[Munil- Outside]

Setsuko, Hyosetsu, Hideo, and I exited the tower and ventured out to the small town. It consisted of white brick-houses, each one decorated with strange silver plants with tiny cyan flowers.

Hideo rubbed his eyes and grumbled. "There's barely any color here. It's mostly all white or gray."

"This universe truly is as disorienting as Abyssia," Setsuko said.

"You! Who are you?" a voice rang out. We all glanced around the gray cobblestone road we were standing on. There was no one around us.

"Another demon?" Hideo asked, transforming Donato into its gun form.

"Who are you calling a demon?" the voice rang out again. Suddenly, a gray blob with angel wings jumped out of the tree.

I raised my shield and blocked its attack. The thing bounced away and glared at us.

"A blob!" Hideo yelled.

"What is that thing doing here?" Setsuko asked.

"Step aside, I'll kill it!" Hyosetsu said.

"Wait!" I turned around and saw a blond, green-eyed man rushing toward us. He wore a red and white robe. In his right hand was a cherry wood staff crowned with agates. "Don't hurt him!"

Hyosetsu stopped a few inches from the blob and turned to look at the man. "Who are you? Is this your pet?"

The man shook his head. "No, that one is my child."

"Your... child?" Setsuko asked, giving the blob-- er kid-- an odd look. "Is this how the inhabitants here look as children?"

"Yes, but he's old enough to manifest a form similar to my own," he said, placing a hand on his chest.

"Are you natives of this realm?" I asked, staring at the slumbering blob.

The man walked over to his child and pulled him into his arms. "Yes. You creatures, you're like Master Halim, are you not? You're beings from Zionia."

"That's right, we're Zionians," Setsuko said, her brown eyes focused on the child's wings. "Are you winged beings too?"

He shook his head and touched the wings. "These, he inherited from his mother, a daughter of Master Halim and Mistress Aquarina. He's... one of the few things I have to remember her by."

Setsuko gasped. Her eyes darted to the floor. "That's... so sad. I... know how it feels to lose one's mother."

The man shook his head. "She isn't dead. You see, this realm is lethal for those who aren't native to it. That's why this little one struggles. Likewise, he will struggle in any of the others, for he's a being of nothingness. His mother tries to visit whenever she can to see her beloved blob.