Episode 82: Family of Foxes

The demon gasped as Yuko's sand tightened around his body

The demon gasped as Yuko's sand tightened around his body. He wiggled his arms to try to get out of its grip. Yuko compressed the fine dust particles further, causing him to let out pained grunts.

As Yuko held the demon in place, I put my right hand against my aching side and let out an orange glow. Takuya had taught Tere and me this technique, should we ever be injured by a demon's claws. Like the miasma that Saki's demon form had made back in the palace, the claws and fangs of a demon could be venomous to non-demons. That was especially true for us angels.

Yuko let out an angry scream as the demon unleashed bursts from his hands to blow away the sand. She wasn't letting up at all, covering the purple armored blond in a vortex of sand.

Seeing what she was doing against the demon tempted me to remain quiet, but I couldn't let her be absorbed by her anger. I formed a spherical barrier around the devil as I had done in my battles against Aventine, Serrano, and Hyosetsu.

I compressed it against him. "Let's finish him off together, Yu," I said, smiling.

"Master, are you alright?" Yuko against, staring at the blood on my side.

"Yeah, I've healed it. Your 'Silly Master' won't go down so easily."

Yuko giggled. "Of course not!"

The demon's eyes glowed. "How sweet, I feel as if I'm going to throw up," he said as something swirled beneath the sand.

I flew back and threw the barrier toward the water.

"Let's get out of here, Yuko!" I said, flying away. That demon was after me, so he should pursue me once he gets out of that.

Suddenly, a purple pillar made up of shadows emerged from beneath the waters. The thing went well up into the sky, far higher than where I was flying.

As the darkness subsided, I could make out the demon. He flew where the top of the pillar once was.

He pointed his spear down at us. "I planned to just take the rosary and leave, but you've made me mad. I'll just take it from your lifeless corpse!"

I held up Agnes and formed a barrier around us. The next thing I knew, a purple beam struck the shield, pushing us downward.

Had he been holding back earlier? Or did his anger increase his strength? Or perhaps it was both.

"Master! Something coming behind us!" Yuko yelled.

I turned around and saw red fox tails grasp the sides of the barrier. Were these the demon's tails? No, that couldn't be, unless if he had formed portals behind him or could detach them. Plus, he hadn't even transformed into a partial kitsune. For all I knew, he couldn't. After all, my cousins and I didn't share the same abysmal form. Then again, Satoru's kitsune abilities came from his Kyuu Hyakuian father's side.