Episode 83: Family Secret

[A few moments earlier]

I glanced back. Earlier, we could see a black pillar in the direction of Nine Petal Island. Hopefully, Tetsu was alright. Considering how strong he was when we battled, he probably was. Then again, having Yuko on his back likely prevented him from activating Second Heaven.

I gasped as powerful gusts of wind coming from his direction pushed toward us. The sky had darkened.

"Tetsu activated Second Heaven," Ximena said.

"But Yuko's on his back, wouldn't she get hurt? Lady Miyuki's aura almost froze us at a distance," Nori said.

"I'm sure that my cousin found some way to keep her safe. He doubt he would've risked Yuko's life like that," I said.

Ximena nodded. "Yeah."

"Seems that my brother is having some trouble," a voice called out.

I gasped as a man in lilac robes appeared in front of us.

"Brother? He's another demon," Ximena said, glaring at him.

He sighed as he reached for the weapon strapped to his back. It was a giant silver trident. "I'd rather be doing other stuff than this, but I got no say in the matter. Mom's the boss," he said, sighing. With a blank look, he pointed his weapon at us. "Your lives end here, doves!"

Electricity gathered in the three prongs of his weapon as numerous lightning bolts struck the sea below.

"Ximena, take Nori and Akane out of here," Maki said, extending at hand outward as if he were giving a military command. "Serrano and I will deal with this. You three are the healers of the group. The others might have more need of your skills, considering the likely scope of the situation."

Ximena nodded. "Alright."

"You sure you don't want Nori to stay?" Nori asked, glaring at the demon. "Nori's holy arts can help."

Maki smiled. "You'll be needed if the girls run into another demon. Now, go! Before you lose track of the others. Akane, lead the way."

"Follow me, Xime," Akane said, flying ahead of Ximena.

The demon flashed in front of Akane and swung it down at her. Vines flew from behind and shielded Akane. The electricity coursing through the weapon set the vines on fire. The flames swirled around as Akane flew out of the burning vines like a phoenix rising from its nest.

"Thanks, Ximena," Akane said. She focused the flames around her into seven spheres and flung them at the demon. The white-haired devil spun his trident rapidly, blowing out the fire.

"Is that all you doves can do?"

Maki rushed at the demon.

"Wait!" I yelled, but he didn't listen. Maki was making the same mistake I had against Aster...