Episode 69: Tears

Onami and I left the police station and followed after Kohri and his big brother

"So, where is your mom?" Onami asked.

"She's at a meeting right now. We're to wait for her at a café," Hyosetsu said with his head in a book. How he managed to walk without crashing into anything was a mystery. Maybe he was using seismic sense. It was an ability that allowed one to be able to sense one's surroundings, so long as one was on the ground. Though it didn't detect objects in the air. Not to mention, it worked best with bare feet.

"Hey, is that the new book you bought earlier?" Kohri asked.

"No, this is one I got from home. It's the first book in the series. The one I got is the second book."

"So, that's why they look similar." Kohri chuckled. "Say, can I borrow them once you're done?"

Hyosetsu shook his head. "No. You'll ruin them."

"What? No, I won't! I promise that I'll take good care of them, and you know that I always keep my promises as a knight."

Hyosetsu glanced up from his book and directed his narrowed eyes at his brother. "What are you talking about? You broke a promise today. You said that you wouldn't get lost."

"Well, technically, I didn't. I lost you two."

Hyosetsu sighed and turned back to his book. "I'll consider it."

"Yay!"

"That doesn't mean that I accepted."

The younger brother chuckled. "Still, a possibility is better than none."

Kohri certainly was weird, but he didn't appear harmful at all. Perhaps it was a mistake to have doubted him at first.

"Is that the café you mentioned?" Kohri asked.

Hyosetsu glanced up at the small white adobe cafe. Half of its tables were actually outside. Though, whoever was willing to drink in the hot sun was either crazy or had insane endurance. Or they were gifted with fire mana like the Kasai no Ki were.

The four of us entered the café and picked a seat near the back of the café. It also happened to be the place closest to the air conditioner.

I put down the nearly empty can of cherry cola in my hand on the table. "It's nice and cool in here," I said, smiling as I took a seat.

"Yeah," Hyosetsu said. "This place is unbearable."

"Want me to order some drinks?" Kohri asked as he remained standing. He pointed at the menu by the front counter. "They got ice drinks too if you aren't up for anything hot."

"Sounds tasty," Onami said, staring at the menu.

Kohri grinned. "Which one?"

"All of them."