Episode 47: Journey to Higher Power

*Nori*

Mister Emon escorted Nori and Yuko to the gym below the 'Room of the Watchers'. It was just this morning that Yuko was training here with Shiomi, but even that felt like days ago.

"Shall we begin?" Emon asked as he curled his fingers as if he were about to strike at me.

"Huh, a fight?" Yuko said.

Emon nodded. "This is the best way to learn."

Mean mister used to say the same thing, but Nori didn't like fighting. Nor did Yuko.

Nori closed his eyes and recalled how he was sent flying in the forest by Camio. Nori couldn't do anything against the demonic Mr. Itou imposter.

"Nori, okay?" Yuko asked.

Nori opened his eyes and saw the staff in his hands was shaking.

Emon lowered his hands. "Are you nervous? If you want, I can just give you a demonstration."

Nori gulped. "No. Nori must become strong if he wishes to be of further help to Lady Xime!" Nori said as he pointed his staff at Emon. "Please, don't go easy on Nori."

The Seven-Flame Knight smiled. "You got it, kid." He reached into his shirt and pulled up a necklace with a dream catcher-like pendant decorated with feathers and beads. "Lauma!"

Flames erupted from the palm of Emon's hand as the necklace transformed into a long wooden staff with seven branches spiraling outward. Bulbs of different colors dot each of them, from purple in the lowest one up to red on the highest one.

"It's like a rainbow!" Yuko remarked, smiling.

Nori smiled as he remembered the first time he saw one. It was on the day he'd met Priest Miki and decided to go into the priesthood.

"Ready when you are, my cat-friend!" Emon said as he pointed the colorful staff at me.

Nori took a deep breath. This man is a Seven-Flame Knight, Nori will need to be cautious around him.

Emon grinned. "I heard you defeated my big sis. Suzu isn't a weak woman, so you must be a strong kid."

Nori's face warmed up. "T-that's was only because she was being influenced by a demon. My attacks dealt more damage than they otherwise would."

"Did you manage to deal any damage to the demon in the forest?"

Nori shook his head. "No. Nori was quickly dispatched..."

Emon snickered.

Nori lowered his head. "Nori's weak."

"You're not. While I wasn't there to see it, I could feel the demon's power even from the edge of the forest where I stood. He was strong. Kohri himself could barely deal with it."

"Really? Nori isn't weak?"

He laughed. "Nah. Even if you holy powers, I know you have to have skills to survive against my big sis. Based on what I've heard about you, I think you need to work on your durability."

"How does mister figure?" Yuko asked.

"I heard he fainted after he had defeated Suzu, and he couldn't tank a hit from that demon."

Yuko directed her chocolate eyes at Nori. "That's true. Yuko was worried Nori might've died."

Nori sighed. "Nori is weak then."

Emon scratched his head. "If only Ki had come with us, he's usually better at giving pep talks than I am." He sighed. "And I'm supposed to be a priest..."