Episode 74: Burning Heart

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. I felt the ground beneath me being blown away by my mana. The air overhead snapped and crackled from the intensity of the mana building up around me.

I opened my eyes. A black aura surrounded me.

"Incredible," Agnes said.

I snickered. "Why are you surprised? Aren't you my guardian angel?"

"Yes, but this power is astonishing. I think it matches that of Hyosetsu's Third Heaven."

"Let's see If that's the case," Hyosetsu said, appearing behind me. I spun around and formed a barrier, deflecting his sword.

"Nice try! Though are sneak attacks all that you got?"

Hyosetsu snickered. "Of course not." He flew into the air and tapped the tips of his sword together. "Icefall!"

I jumped up before a beam of ice could turn me into a living popsicle. Where I stood was covered entirely in a matrix of giant ice crystals.

Hyosetsu moved his swords slightly and fired off another beam.

I slammed the ground with my hands and formed a barrier, knowing that I couldn't run. Quickly, the translucent wall became covered in a thick layer of ice. Thankfully, the ice didn't cause it to shatter.

I probably could've shattered it by raising the intensity of my aura, but that would cut the time I can use this form.

I pressed my fire mana-infused shield against the barrier, spreading the energy around to melt the ice away.

"Impressive, this one didn't crack," Hyosetsu said as he appeared in front of me. He drove his wakizashi through the barrier, causing the rest of it to shatter.

I raised Agnes in front of me.

Hyosetsu dashed forward and slashed at Agnes, but the contact caused a shockwave stronger than all of the others. Both of us were thrown against the newly reinforced barrier around the shattered battlefield.

I was the first one to move. Not wasting any time, I held out my hand and trapped him in a barrier. Hyosetsu winced as the sphere compressed around him.

I smiled. "Can't get out of it?"

Hyosetsu closed his eyes and stabbed the barrier with his wakizashi, shattering it. "You were saying?"

I sighed. Darn it. I thought that I finally had him. Oh well, at least it gives me a chance to try out some new tricks.

I jumped back, sheathed my sword, and proceeded to form a ball of darkness the size of a basketball in my left hand.

Hyosetsu looked at it with unease. "Such dense mana, and in such a short time too."

I smiled. "I might not be at the same level as Setsuko, but haven't been slacking off on my mana control. Nor have you apparently. It's really amazing how long you've managed to spend in your ascended angel forms."