Episode 80: Life's Choices

I stared at the spot where the portal once was

I stared at the spot where the portal once was. "Next time, I'll get you, abysmal," I said, turning around as the dungeon rumbled. All the damage that the fox and the other abysmals had done, I would return it to them tenfold!

I formed a barrier of wind around me as stones fell all around me. This place wouldn't last long...

I raised the sphere of wind and myself up and flew straight for the exit, but when I arrived, I saw that the exit was already buried.

I raised one of my guns at the boulders and opened a small hole in my barrier. A green bullet fired from the nozzle of my weapon and flew the rocks away, clearing a path for me.

I ran past it and saw Eiichi blasting away debris with Carlos.

"Why did you return?" I asked, eyes wide.

"I thought that you might need my help against the enemy."

I swung my right gun over my shoulder. "I could've handled him by myself."

Eiichi crossed his arms over his chest. "You know, I would usually say that, but it feels odd to hear it from you."

I scratched the side of my head. "Guess that your rashness has rubbed off on me."

"Hey, you were rash before!" he snapped.

"Yeah," Daniel's voice echoed from within Donato.

"Guessing the others are with Cami now?" I asked. I had Levech and Donato take Omatsu, Borasco, and Man-kin to the hill outside of town.

"Yes."

I smiled. "Great."

"You should've gone with them," Eiichi said as he took to the air. "Anyway, let's hurry up. This place won't last much longer."

I glanced at the carpeted floor. The wood that had been exposed by the clash between the fox and the others were showing signs of further strain.

I jumped into the air and followed after Eiichi. But, as I did, I took a final glance at what was Dan's room. It was a good thing that Silas had taken his cards with him. They were his most prized possession, after all. Losing them would be like putting salt on the wound.

Right before I was about to exit the mansion through the hole that Naoru's djinn's crash had created, the building gave away. Everything below and around me came crumbling down. I was nearly blown away by the force of it all, but held my wind barrier steady.

Once outside, I looked back and saw that only the house's left-wing had collapsed entirely. The right-wing was still relatively intact.

"That was a close one," Eiichi said, staring at the pile of debris that had formed.

"I would've been fine," I said, pointing at my barrier. "I've  faced tougher stuff than this."

My heart sank as I saw my wrecked home again. It did hurt to see it like that, but at least we could rebuild it. Possessions could be replaced, but people couldn't.