Episode 62: Secret Plans

I gasped as explosions echoed outside of the lab

What was going on? Had the enemy reached this place? But how would they find it? My grandpa already locked away my uncle Takeshi. Or did he leave them notes to follow?

Suddenly, the lab's silver doors swung open. I held my arms out and covered my fist in purple mana.

"Oh, look who we have here. It's the new Rabbit Pillar," a voice called out. I gasped as I saw a blue-haired woman in a tight-fitting dress standing at the entrance to the lab.

"Margaret," I said, remembering her from the meeting we had earlier. I stepped back as I lowered my fists. "What are you doing here?"

She grinned. "I wanted to see what Aster was cooking up in here. Though, a few rude people decided to get in my way. What about you? Were you taking a nap?"

My eyes shifted toward her hands. They were covered in fine red dust.

I gulped. Did that powder come from crushed cores?

She took another step toward me and grinned. "What's the issue, cutie? You seem afraid?"

I went around her. "S-sorry. It's just that I got to get going! I have to talk to Aster!"

She placed one of her long nails against her lips. "Aster? She went out awhile ago. As did you're grandfather, uncles, and aunts. Only some of your younger cousins are around."

"Then, I'll just go wait for them outside!" I said, sprinting away. I gulped. I wasn't sure why, but chills ran down my spine whenever she spoke. Actually, she didn't even have to talk. Her gaze alone was enough to intimidate people.

My eyes shifted to my surroundings. Holes more massive than the one I had made in the southern entrance of Kaguya City covered the black stone walls.

I took a deep breath. The shattered cores of those Aster assigned to guard the la had to be the cause of this.

I looked over my shoulder and watched as Margaret approached one of the unopened pods. What was she going to do with them? Was she going to kill them too? But, if I didn't get out, I could soon end like them.

I curled my hands into fists. I had to do something, I couldn't let her destroy the others who had yet to wake up!

I ran turned around, but suddenly, a hand covered my mouth. My heartbeat intensified as I slowly raised my eyes. A young man with pepper hair looked down at me. He held a finger against his lips and slowly backed away.

I held my breath. Was he an enemy? Or a friend? The guy did seem familiar. If only the other me had shown me more of my memories... just what was he hiding from me?

He picked me up as he drew near the edge of the most prominent crater and jumped back. Black and white wings spread out as we started to fall. He moved his wings slowly as if trying to avoid getting noticed.