Episode 48: Feelings

*Ximena*

"That's what happened," Rosalba said as she finished explaining about our encounters in the forest.

"Interesting," the queen of Kyuu Seishin said as her eyes shifted toward the young man sleeping in the chair beside her.

Serra... When will you wake up?

"So the abysmals wish for him to join their side, but why do the demons want him?" Shin'en asked as he also turned to look at Serrano.

"I'm not sure," Rosalba said. The princess turned toward Kohri, Onami, and me. "Did Camio say anything about that?"

Onami shook her head.

"While still disguised as Mr. Itou, Camio said that he wished to speak to him," I said. "But that was more likely an excuse than his true intention. Considering he's a demon, it could be that he wished to take over his body."

The queen gasped. "Wait, a demon can possess an angel?"

"It isn't easy for them, but it is possible," Shin'en said. "More often, they seek to corrupt us through the use of words. We don't always notice that they're there, but we can hear their whispers in our heads when they're trying to convert us into their kind."

Rosa gasped.

Shin'en's wife covered his red lips. "My, how fascinating."

"That said, demons rarely approach us," I said. I furrowed my brows at the sleeping Serrano. "When they do, it's because there's deep darkness welled up inside of us."

The second princess of Kuroriku lowered her head. "Tetsu..."

Shivers ran up my spine as I recalled the sensation I had felt in Makkuroyama and at Tetsu's place. His wrath had temporarily consumed him.

I rubbed my left arm as I walked over to the princess. I placed a hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry, Rosa. Neither Tetsu nor Serra will allow themselves to be corrupted by demons. After all, they got friends by their side."

Rosa beamed. "That's true. Even if he is away right now, I know that my sister is with him. Setty wouldn't let the demons get to him."

Shin'en smiled. "We should still take precautions. Demons are crafty creatures."

"I'm aware," I said as I stepped toward Serrano.

"What are you going to do?" Onami asked.

"I'm going to try to purify him. While I'm not as adept as Nori at this, I do know a few things. I was born into a family of priests, after all. My dad taught me a few things, should I decide to take up the vocation."

"If you do not mind me asking, what did you study at Elitia? I mean, I know that Serra studied accounting, and Tetsu studied literature, but I have not had the chance to ask you that same question."

"Me?" I asked as I went around the queen. I lowered my face as it became pink. "I studied culinary arts."

"Culinary arts? You wish to be a cook? Hmm, think the palace could use another cook."

I laughed as I placed my hands on Serrano's shoulders and covered him in emerald light. "I appreciate the not so subtle offer, but I would prefer proving my skills first. I don't want anyone thinking I got the job due to nepotism. That said, my true dream is to one day open a bakery."

"A bakery, huh? Why did you go to culinary school for then?" the queen asked.

"I wished to polish my skills. Plus, there's a certain prestige that comes from attending Elitia."