Episode 89: Storm Clouds

I gasped as each thin strand of hair in my arms spiked up as if met with a frigid wind

I gasped as each thin strand of hair in my arms spiked up as if met with a frigid wind. But the winds here were warm as would be expected of late summer.

"What's wrong?" Hideo asked as we flew through the sky on his makeshift airship.

"I don't know," I said.

"Yo-you're crying," Camila said. She glanced at Eita. "You too, Sir Eita."

Eita closed his eyes. "Why am I?"

I glanced out at the forested mountains toward the east. "Do you think that something bad might've happened to our Mom or Dad?" Eita asked. He was shivering.

I wasn't sure what propelled me to do so, but I brought him in for a hug. Our parents should've been in the castle, not in battle. Yet, why was this feeling of dread?

"Eiichi, protect your brother, mother, and the others," a voice called out from behind me.

I turned around, expecting to see my dad, but saw no one.

"Dad?" I called out. There was no response. Had I imagined things? Or had something terrible happened to Dad? No, there was no way that my old man died. It was impossible!

"Dad?" Eita asked, looking up at me. "You think it was him?"

Staring into my brother's eyes, I felt as if we were kids again.

"I must be imagining things," I said. "I'm sure that the old guy is fine. He's as strong as an ox!"

"Sir Eiji is strong, but you shouldn't ignore the bad feeling," Naoru said, glancing outside.

Was he speaking from experience? I had heard that his father died during a mission.

"Yeah," Hideo said, his lips twitching. His eyes were focused on Donato. Dad was the one who had given it to him.

"Maybe he is in trouble, but I'm sure that he'll come out of it like he always does. He's a veteran, after all."

"Yeah," Eita said with a hopeful smile. "Dad has to be alive!"

 "Dad has to be alive!"