Episode 40: Aventine's Trial

*Aventine*

[Sometime prior- Meadow of Purple flowers]

I watched as my Esquilino's wielder fought against the demon named Camio. Suddenly, a beam flew at the demon from another direction. It was Caelio's wielder!

"Seems that guy finally resurfaced," a voice called out.

I turned around and saw Caelio approach me along with Esquilino.

"Did you tell the princess to help out?" I asked.

Caelio nodded. "Yeah, I heard your request. It seems that the demon is at his final legs. Our protectees are fortunate that the demon they had to fight was Camio. If it were one of his older siblings, then they would've been in trouble."

Esquilino chuckled as he watched Camio retreat. "That cowardly wimp really knows how to turn tail, huh?" he asked.

"Yeah. But what I wonder why he pretended to be the prime minister," I said, crossing my arms.

"That Itou, we still haven't been able to confirm his identity," Caelio said, taking a step forward.

"So, what he Camio all along?" Esquilino asked.

"I don't think so. I still think that man is Camio's father, The Demon of Wrath," I said.

"One of the Seven Arch-demons, huh? That guy would be someone apt to take advantage of the situation our protectees are facing. If he were to make a move now, it would force them to retreat to Zionia, allowing the Abysmals to achieve their aims in Xeleria, whatever they might be," Caelio said, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Then, do you think that they're allies?" Esquilino asked.

I rubbed my chin. That is a possibility. Tekeshi's father had one part of the Leviathan in his possession. It still seemed to maintain some autonomy too.

"By the look on your face, it isn't an idea we should dismiss easily," Caelio said, looking directly into my eyes.

I nodded. "Indeed, it is not. Especially, considering that fox who nearly killed my owner and yours at different points was part demon."

Esquilino gasped. "Wait, what if it's his abysmal-demon parent who is the one running the alliance?"

Caelio sighed. "That is possible." He leered his eyes as he watched Rosa descend. "That fox... I wonder if he might still be alive."

Esquilino grunted. "Why do you say that?"

"He appeared in front of my owner. Only she and I could see him."

"The same thing happened with Serrano. I could see him too, so it couldn't have been our protectees going crazy. But what's more worrying is, the case with Serrano happened after the half-demon's supposed death."

Esquilino rubbed his shoulders. "For once, I'm getting chills. But then, why couldn't the others see him?"

"I'm not sure. It could also be a spell which, for some reason, affects us who are bound to them."

"Must be a strong spell for us not to notice..." Caelio said, closing his eyes.

I glanced back at the floating screen and gasped. Walking toward our protectees was a white-haired young man with golden eyes.

I sighed. Excellent, just what we needed.

"Hey, isn't that your previous owner's younger brother?" Esquilino asked.

I nodded. "Yeah. It's Skah. I better go check to see how Serrano and Tetsuya's training is coming along."

"Is the space they're in flowing at the same rate as this one?"