Episode 25: Flickering Star

[Meanwhile- Southern province of Kuroriku]

I stood to the side as Teresa moved back and forth, rapidly taking hay out of a truck and putting it in front of a family of sheep.

"Alright, sheep fed! Next up is cooking dinner," Teresa said, turning around.

"Shouldn't you take it easy?" I asked, putting down a pile of hay. "You've been moving non-stop. At this rate you're going to get sick."

"I don't get sick," she said, puffing up her chest. "Plus, I've gotten used to this over the years."

"You have?"

She nodded. "Yeah. While Tetsu was in college, there were times in which Taku would be off for days slaying demons, so I've had to do most of the work around the farm."

I averted my gaze. I had completely forgotten that her older brother was a demon slayer...

"Is something the matter?"

"Huh? I'm just tired," I said, laughing dryly.

She smiled. "Ya really are a city boy!" She patted me on the back with strength I hadn't thought she was capable of.

I snickered. "Now that sounds if as you're challenging me." I walked toward the exit of the barn and glanced up at the starry sky. "As for me being a city boy, I was actually raised in a small village in the outskirts of Yozora."

She walked over and stood by my side. "Yozora, huh? I've heard it's a great place for stargazing."

I nodded. "Yeah. My mom and me used to always look out at the stars."

I should pay Mom a visit when I can.

"I used to watch the stars with Papa," she said, stepping forward. Her eyes scanned the sky. "Huh, that's odd, it should be there."

"What are you looking for?" I asked, scanning the sky.

"I'm looking for Cattus. It should be right there at this time of year, but it's not." I stared at where she was pointing at and saw only a single flickering star. The area round it was devoid of any other visible stars.

"You're right, it should be there," I said, recalling the star chart my mom had shown me.

Teresa rushed over to her house.

I chased after her.

"Ma!" she shouted as she ran into the house.

"What's wrong, dear?" Anis asked, emerging from the kitchen. "Are we under attack?"

"No... well, maybe we are."

She furrowed her brows. "Please explain."

"I can't see Cattus!"

"The constellation?" she asked, turning around. She rushed over to the window and glanced westward. She gasped. "There's nothing there besides one star..."