Episode 79: Warmth

I stared at the adobe buildings around me

I stared at the adobe buildings around me. I was back in the town where Onami and I had met Hyosetsu and Kohri.

"Is this an illusion?" I asked, bringing my knives in front of me.

"Yes," Daniel said, gliding past me. He held out his hand and unleashed a sphere of green mana.

"Can you dispel it?" I asked.

"It's a prana construct, so it's not as easy, but it should only take a few extra steps."

"Why did he cast an illusion of a desert city?" Carlos asked, looking around.

I lowered my eyes. "This is where I met that fox, when we were kids."

"You met Satoru here?" Daniel asked.

"Yes. He was having lunch with his family."

"His family? How did his mom manage to come here? When the Monkey King arrived, he had to blow a hole into the defenses of the universe," Carlos said.

"I think that they can come and go without resorting to that. Their goal must've been taking down our defenses. Once the boundary protecting this world is gone, then there'll be nothing to protect it from the encroaching darkness," I said.

Daniel closes his eyes. "The enemy's plan still remains shrouded in mystery. It's odd, but I am starting to think that they have no concrete plan."

"if that's the case, then we can defeat them with superior strategy!" Carlos said, grinning.

"Their power is still leagues above what our knights have, even after their training. At the very least, the Monkey King's is."

"The knights can still get stronger. The King prepared something to strengthen their weapons, though, I'm not sure if Kuroshi managed to finish it before he was captured," I said.

"Strengthen us?" Carlos asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I guess that's one way to put it. I was basically the test subject for it. It's a superior form of the G.E.A.R. system. With it, the power of one's angel weapon is magnified by a factor of five."

Carlos whistled. "That's like each knight having the combined power of the entire pre-boosted order."

"Exactly, but there are risks with it."

Daniel looked over his shoulder. "Such as?"

"One must withstand the force of their own power. Those who are weak of mind will be overwhelmed before even a minute is done."

"How long must they withstand it?" Carlos asked, furrowing his brow.

"An hour, but it feels like an eternity." If it weren't for my weapon's healing abilities, I probably would've been covered in scars from the multiple copies of my angel weapon. There were a few wounds on my back that couldn't close completely, leaving behind thin, but deep marks.