Episode 85: Research

[Hours Earlier- Somewhere in Xian]

I stared up at the sky. Even as an earth user, it was perplexing to see an island floating in the middle of the sky. The stranger thing was that I couldn't quite tell what was keeping it afloat.

On the top was a large city, the capital of Xian. However, a barrier prevented us from entering. A guard told us to wait here until our passage had been approved. Had someone forgotten to tell them that we were coming? Or perhaps they were merely cautious. If the Ziz were in my grasp and enemies wanted it, I would be too. Well, more so than usual.

I glanced at the trees all around us. Several of them appeared to be Mokin trees, the same ones used to create Agnes's and Carlos's interiors.

"Is this really the spot we were told to wait in?" Takuya asked. It had been a while since we had been told to wait.

"Yes," a voice called down from above. It came from a teenage girl with long black hair and golden-brown eyes. On her head was a small golden crown.

"Who are you?" I asked.

The girl sighed. "What manners. It's proper to introduce yourself first before asking for someone else's name. My name is Grace Xian, the younger sister of the High Priestess."

I crossed my arms and scoffed. "Well, it's rude to make your guests wait too. What took you so long?"

"I wanted to verify that you are indeed the ones my sister spoke about."

"At least you're here now. Thought that we would be kept waiting all day," Eri said.

Grace's eyes widened a little. "Eri? I didn't know that you were part of this cohort."

"I joined them after what happened at the games."

"I see." She glanced back at me. "Though, there are a few faces that I don't recall having seen in the Mahoulympics."

Eri stared at our group. "Think the only one who wasn't there was King Osamu."

"So that's his name. He didn't take the time to identify himself earlier."

I sighed. "Can we get going?"

"Yes, of course." Grace held her hand toward us, covering us in a vortex of earth. Next thing we knew, we stood in the middle of a throne room. Behind Grace stood a gold and silver throne with a sun-moon motif. On the white walls were golden brazers with white flames. To our back were red screen doors.

"Woah, so this is the Xianian throne room," Eri said, looking around.

"Yes. Though, I would've preferred if this meeting were in the dining room. Alas, my older sister made the decision. Now, how may I be of assistance?"

"Do you have any literature that speaks of how to seal the Monkey King?" I asked.

Grace gasped. "Wukong? My ancestor sealed him up, but that was centuries ago." She rubbed her chin. "Why do you ask?"