Episode 8: A Familiar Smile

"Welcome," a voice called out

"Welcome," a voice called out. Walking down the hall was a white-haired man wearing a fox mask. "Nice to see you again, Osamu, Takeshi."

Osamu came to a stop. "King Shin'en..." my royal uncle said in a low voice.

Shin'en removed the mask. "So, you recognized me."

"Of course, he would, you wore that mask when we met before!" Takeshi said, pointing at the ceramic mask.

He laughed nervously. "So, I did... Though I have you know, I am not a 'king'. I never accepted the title. Maki over there will be the first king of Kasai no Ki since our father's time."

Maki stepped forward. "Though I think that you would be a better king than I."

Shin'en shook his head. "You are a smart young man. Somewhat lazy at certain times, but hard working when it counts."

The younger prince's blue-eyes widened. "Y-you noticed?"

Shin'en smiled at his younger brother. "Of course."

"Kai and I have as well," Koukyuu said, smiling. "You give your all in the tasks you love. Your lack of ambition isn't a bad thing either. However, many rulers have been destroyed by it."

Osamu averted his eyes. "Let's continue," the king said, passing the Kasai no Ki siblings. "We already got delayed by that ogre from earlier."

"Right. I did bring some special people along. Hope they'll be of assistance."

"Special people?" Rosa asked, tilting her head to the side.

Kohri snickered. "I have a rough idea as to who they might be," the hammer-wielder said.

"Koukyuu, please continue to lead the way," the eldest Kasai no Ki brother said.

The young princess nodded. "Right away, brother."

***

The princess of Kasai no Ki escorted all of us to a room filled which red velvet chairs. The seats overlooked another room, giving it the air of a stadium.

"Is this the gym?" Zyuuni asked, walking up to the golden rails and peering at the glossy-wooden floor of the room below. Separating the two was a crystal wall.

"It's rather large for a gym," Ryonoko said, whistling. "It resembles one of the smaller Draco-domes back home and the Angel Domes of Zionia."

"The room below is in fact a gym," Koukyuu said. "Where we are right now is technically the 'Room of the Watchers'."

"Watchers, huh?" Kuroshi asked, chuckling. "Interesting name."

"Not sure what you find so interesting about it," Osamu said, sighing. "So, is this room all you have? I would've thought that a 'prestigious' magical academy would have more than one gym."