Episode 92: Family Reunion

"There, all healed," Serrano said, smiling as he lifted his hands from my abdomen

I rubbed my stomach. It still ached from the wound that Bylet had inflicted on me. "Thanks, Serra."

I glanced at the sleeping Yuko and Maki. "Will you three really be alright?" he asked.

I crossed my arms over my chest. "Of course, we will! If not for the circumstances, I probably could've taken care of the demons all by myself."

Serrano chuckled. "You never change, do you? Still the same braggart."

I grinned. "At least this time, I got a bit more power to back up my words. Plus, a bit more battle knowledge too."

"Yeah, but try to avoid fighting if you can help it," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. He turned around. "Well, I better get going. Grandfather is waiting for me."

"Serra, be careful in there. I know that you have Aventine, but still." I lowered my eyes to the forest floor. "I have a bad feeling about this."

"You too, huh?"

I glanced up at him. "If you get a bad vibe, then why are you going?"

"Because I feel it even when considering not going."

I closed my eyes. Did that mean that the bad vibe wasn't connected directly to him? I gasped and opened my eyes.

"You think that Conrad might be in trouble?" I asked.

"I hope not, but I have to be there for him. He might've joined the enemy side, but he's still my kid brother."

I smiled. "I understand. I still wish that I could accompany you."

Serrano glanced at the sky. The shockwaves from earlier had stopped, leaving us with an eerie silence. "I feel that there's somebody who needs you here more than I do."

I frowned. "Who?"

"Dad," Yuko said, rolling in her sleep. There were tears in her eyes. "Don't go..." She clenched my arm.

"Yuko," I said, wiping a tear away from her face. Was she having a nightmare? It was my dad's fault that she and Onami were without parents.

"I'll be back as soon as possible. Once I've made sure that my family is safe."

I grinned. "Alright. Guess it's my turn to watch the fort."

Serrano smiled slightly. "Not that I did an excellent job of it when it was mine."

I huffed. "Hey, don't beat yourself over it."

"Don't worry, I won't."

I leered at him. "That actually makes me worry more."

He blinked. "Huh?"

"Like me, you have a tendency to say things are okay when they aren't okay."