Episode 67: Fatigue

I reclined my back against the stone wall of the dungeon as my feet grew exhausted from hours of standing up

"How about you take a break?" the monkey boy asked, grinning at me from his cell.

I smiled slightly. "Nice try, monkey boy, but I'm not moving from this post. I've slept here these past few days, and I will sleep here tonight as well."

"You didn't even sleep overnight."

"I didn't feel tired," I said, closing my eyes somewhat. "Now, be quiet. You talk too much."

He puffed his cheeks. "Yeah, well, you're no fun to talk to anyway!" he said before walking back to his bed. He stared at his cousin.

Roa had fallen asleep and not woken up since he passed out from the pain. Though, maybe that was best for him. At least he seemed more relaxed.

"Hey," a voice called out.

I looked up and saw a girl in a purple dress. She was Camila, the only Makkuroyama who had stayed behind In her hands was a plate with three sandwiches.

"I brought you some food," she said, offering me the plate.

"I'm not hungry," I said, turning away.

"But I am!" Man-kin said, jumping out of his bed and sprinting over to grab one.

"Here you g-"

I snatched the plate of sandwiches from Camila and kept it away from the monkey.

"Hey! I thought that you weren't hungry!"

"Not right now, but later I'll be." I picked one up and held it out to him. "Here's yours."

"Only one? At least give me two. I'm a growing boy!"

I pulled the sandwich away slightly. "If you're going to complain, then you won't be getting any."

"Okay, okay. I'll have one, Mr. stingy," he said as he reached it and took it from me.

"I-I ac-actually brought one for everyone," Camila said, lowering her head.

I stared at the remaining two sandwiches on the plate.

"I don't think that Roa will be able to eat for a while," Man-kin said, glancing at his cousin. He lowered his eyes toward his now half-eaten sandwich. "Hope that Etsuo has found the ingredients needed for the cure."

"I-I'm sure they will," Camila said, nodding.

The cure. The Makkuroyamas are trying too hard to help the enemy. Reno and his sister had already turned against us once. For the rest of their family to do so wouldn't be unexpected. After all, the Kasai no Ki and their descendants aren't to be trusted. I must continue to keep an eye on them.

"Well, I-I better get going," she said, turning around and rushing off.

"That girl is a lot like her big brother," Man-kin said as he watched her run.