Episode 10: Successor

"Phew," Kohri said as he sat down on the gymnasium floor

"Phew," Kohri said as he sat down on the gymnasium floor. His gray t-shirt was drenched in sweat. "I'm beat."

Uncle Takeshi had us do various exercises and run several laps around the gym. In a way, it was basically an extension of the training he had Tetsu and me do back at his place. After several hours of that, he had those of us who could use second heaven try to maintain the form for as long as we could. At first it wasn't all that hard, but eventually it became as painful as remaining in push up position for hours and hours.

Those who couldn't did something similar but it was trying to elevate their energy output as high as they could.

"As am I," Zyuuni said, staring at the now restored glass ceiling.

Ryonoko huffed. "You guys who can use second heaven made it look easy," he said as he knelt on one knee.

Zyuuni nodded. "Yeah..."

I laughed, but soon wished I didn't. Gripping my side, I rolled over in order to push myself off the ground.

"You've all done well," uncle said, grinning. "Head to the showers, have something nice to eat, and get some sleep in. Tomorrow we'll start back up first thing in the morning."

"And I thought Osamu was the slave driver," Zaki muttered as she leaned on a wall.

"I don't think we'll be able to survive another day like this," Maki said, trying to stand up.

Uncle snickered. "You bunch of weaklings. Though, it's comforting to know that we Kuroriku got you Kasai no Ki beat."

"Huh?" Maki asked.

Takeshi grinned. "I mean, Rosa awakened second heaven in your battle back in my place. The rest of the Seven-Hills can all use it too."

The white-haired prince's eyes widened.

Kiyoshi chuckled. "I see what you're aiming at, old man. You're trying to motivate us by using our historic rivalry, aren't you?"

"Ehh? Was I that easy to read? You're right!" my uncle said with a chuckle at the end.

Zaki glared at him. "You hardly ever are. You only show your cards when you want to."

Uncle smiled. "You sound just like Osamu." He sighed. "Anyway, perhaps I should teach you all how to restore your mana."

"There's a way to do that?" Eri asked.

"Yeah."

"There sure is," Emon said, sitting cross legged. He pushed himself up and moved around as if he hadn't just used up nearly all his mana.

I gasped as I recalled Setsuko's meditation. "You drew mana from the surroundings into your body, didn't you?" I asked.

"Yes," the Seven-Flame Knight responded.