Episode 36: Hidden Power

*Onami*

I sighed. I had left to talk to Shiomi after leaving Nori to take care of my little sister. Perhaps it was a mistake to have done so. I didn't gain anything from talking to her at all. In fact, I didn't even get to talk to her as she dissolved into the wind.

While she was an annoying person who loved to lord over others, there was no denying her talents with her wind magic. If I could swallow my pride, I would ask her to teach me some of her techniques.

I gasped as an explosion rang from deeper in the forest. It sounded like something crashed through it.

I rushed over to the source of the sound and gasped at the sight of a long row of snapped trees.

I squatted down and touched the broken bark shattered on the forest floor. There were no remnants of meteorite on it, nor were there burn marks. So, it couldn't have been a cosmic event that caused this.

I stood up and walked down the path created by the crash.

"Onami, what happened here?" a voice called out.

I turned around and saw Kohri run into the destroyed part of the forest.

"I'm not sure, but I'm going to find out," I said as I began to run.

Kohri flew overhead as he held out his hand toward me. "Here, we can get there faster by air."

I reached out and took his hand. He put his hand on the middle of my back and pulled me up closer until my head was firmly pressed against his chest.

He flashed me one of his signature grins. "There, much more secure."

My face reddened. Did he think that I would fall down?

"Now, full speed ahead!" he yelled.

I gripped him tightly, that I began to fear that my nails were digging into his skin.

Kohri suddenly came to a halt as he landed on the forest floor.

"Why did you —"

Placing a hand over my mouth, he pointed toward the meadow in which the row of destroyed trees led to.

On one corner sat Ximena, struggling to heal an injured Nori and next to her was the unconscious Serrano.

But the most surprising sight was that of who stood at the center of the meadow which was covered by an illusion of sand. It was my little sister, Yuko, who had someone covered in a thick cocoon of swirling sand.

Yuko jumped up as a beam of dark-red energy was fired off from underneath the massive layers of glass. The glass floor where the beam hit turned into boiling red-liquid.

"You continue to impress," a familiar voice called out. The glass cracked completely to reveal Prime Minister Itou. In his left hand was a glowing sword, the same color as the energy beam that had turned the sand into glass.

He dusted his shoulder off as he smiled at Yuko. "Perhaps, if you were whole then you would be able to actually put up a challenge. Alas, you are not, sister!"

Yuko eyes widened in shock. "Si-sister?"

Sister? What was he talking about? My parents only had two kids. And Mr. Itou was much older than my parents to begin with.

Mr. Itou chuckled. "Though, you're only a fragment of what remains of her. I'll be sure to extinguish what was left behind!"

I gasped. "Yuko!" I screamed. It was then that I realized Kohri had let go of me.