Episode 28: Finding a Cure

*Roa*

I reclined my head against the stone wall of the cell as I clenched my right arm. I flinched as another surge of pain rushed up my arm and toward my core. I yanked the blanket which I had wrapped around it, but even that wouldn't help numb the pain.

My eyes widened as the sound of tearing cloth echoed in the dark cell. Blue crystals had risen from beneath the blanket. What was happening to my body?

I clenched my teeth shut and banged my head against the stone wall as the pain increased further. The pain was indescribable. Not even getting stabbed by Naoru's angel tool hurt this much.

Wait, his angel tool... Was that the reason I was in this state? I hadn't been able to heal properly since that battle, but the anti-healing effect should've been gone.

My eyes shifted toward my blue-crystal-covered arm. I rapidly removed the torn blanket and saw that the dark boils were now completely replaced by a matrix of blue stones. The stones ran from my elbow up to my shoulder.

If I was in this state then what about Etsuo? Last time I saw him, he hadn't been in this state, but that could've changed. I closed my eyes and pushed myself up the bed with my other arm. I had to find out how Etsuo was doing, even if I had to go through this pain.

I collapsed to my knees as soon as I reached the edge of the bed. I punched the stone floor with my left fist, cracking parts of the stone floor. I grumbled as the shards of stone punctured my skin. This was probably the first time in my life that I'd been hurt this much by punching stone.

I forced myself up despite the creaking of my bones. They felt like they could shatter at any moment from the force I was exerting on them.

"Roa? Roa!" a voice yelled from the other side of the cell.

I closed my eyes. "Boun...cy..." I muttered before losing consciousness.

*Dine*

"Roa!" I screamed as his head hit the ground.

"Dad, open the cell!" Kiara yelled, taking control over her body.

Hideaki furrowed his brow. "Dear, I know that you've grown close to the abysmal within you, but this could be a trap. That fox who took you brother's life likely did something similar to escape.

"Roa wouldn't do that! He might've been friends with Satoru at some point but they aren't the same!" I protested, taking over Kiara's body once more. "We need to get him help!"

"I'm aware, but also think of how you can help him," he said. "I doubt you'll be able to find a cure for his condition here. You would need to return to the abyss."

That was true... He and the others likely wouldn't agree to that, even if we had them accompany us to make sure. Some of them would see it as a trap. Plus, there was always the chance that our allies would attack them which would only make matters worse.

'Wait, I got it! Takeshi!' Kiara said mentally.

'What about him?' I asked.

'Well, he might know something about abysmal biology that could help Roa.'

"Hey, dad, do you know how to contact uncle Takeshi?" Kiara asked, giving her dad her best smile.

"What are you up to?" he asked as he took out a crystal from his pocket.

"He might be able to identify what's wrong with Roa and heal him."

He smiled. "I see. If it's him then that would work." He raised the stone in his hands. "Contact Takeshi."