Episode 59: Father's Twin

"Here ya go!" my big bro said as he placed a bowl of carrots in front of me

"Here ya go!" my big bro said as he placed a bowl of carrots in front of me. They were sliced to resemble orange bunnies.

"Cute," I said, smiling. "Thanks, big bro! I thank the Sky Father that he gave me a big bro like ya!"

Serra scratched his blushing cheeks. "Well, it's not much. I just put together a quick snack for ya. I'll go and whip something better for ya later. That sound swell?"

I nodded. "Yup!"

He stretched out his hand and ruffled my snow-white hair. "Alright, then I'll make something that will blow you away tonight!" He turned away and sighed. "Well, I better get going. Our project is due tomorrow."

"Big bro procrastinated?" I asked, tilting my head at him. It was so unlike him.

He closed his eyes and scoffed. "It was Eii who did. We were to meet up a few days ago at the market, but he never arrived."

The market? That was where I had seen that guy chase my friend...

I rubbed my head. If only I could recall more of that dream, then I can perhaps figure out where she is.

"Is something worrying you?"

I bit my lip. I wanted to let him know that I came here to look for my friend, but then he might get mad at me. It wasn't like I had known her for very long...

"What happened to Pa?" I asked, looking up at him. I honestly did wonder where he had gone. I wanted to see him again.

Serrano averted his gaze. "That guy? He left, like usual. Conrad, you didn't come here to look for him, did you?"

I lowered my head. "No, but he did help me, so I can't help but ask."

"It's best that you don't search for him. Let him be. He chose his path long ago."

I gulped. A pit formed in my heart. I knew that both he and Ma blamed Pa for what had happened since he left, but he didn't strike me as the man I'd heard about. Perhaps, he was trying to change. After all, Pa used to be a good guy at one point. Maybe he had just lost his way and was slowly returning there.

"I know what you're thinking, Conrad. Ma thought the same thing too, but it didn't work out. Neither of us should repeat her mistakes. If that man is to fix his life, he has to do it alone."

I stared at my bowl of carrots. "I understand."

"Good boy. I'll be right back as soon as I can! Feel free to use my room if you're tired! Also, don't leave the palace! You will certainly get lost." He glanced up at a chandelier by the entrance to the dining hall. "Actually, try not to wander inside this place either. It's huge. Even I get lost, and I've been living here for the past four years."

I snickered. "But I've always been better at directions than big bro!"

He spun around, revealing his bright red face. "I've gotten better!" He put a hand on his hip and sighed. "Please listen, Rad. I don't want you getting lost."