Episode 46: The Knight of Roses

*Kimura*

"There you are! Where did you run off to?" Emon asked as I made my way to the dining hall of Nine Petal Academy.

"I went to check up on something," I said as he ran over to me.

He rubbed his chin as we walked side by side. "Why the long face? Did something happen?"

I averted my gaze. "I ran into the second princess of Kuroriku. She was engaged in a card duel with one of the abysmals on the file that Kuroshi gave us before he ran off to assist Serrano against the Ruler woman."

"Hmm. A Spirit Duel, I assume?"

"How did you figure?"

He snickered. "Skah was the previous Spirit King."

"Spirit King?"

"That's the title of the top spirit duelist."

"Wait, how do you know that? Have you played it before?"

"No, but I did see kids playing it during one of my missions in the north of our country."

"A mission? What kind?"

Emon snickered. "Not as a knight, but as a missionary." He placed a hand on his chest and smiled. "Remember, my primary job is as a spreader of the faith of the Earth Mother and Sky Father."

"I thought you stayed in that old temple of yours all the time."

"If I did that, I wouldn't be doing a good job. While we priests aren't to allow the world to influence us, we need to go out to it to change it."

"But isn't everyone influenced by the world?"

"You could say that. What matters is that it's a reminder to avoid the temptation of worldly stuff. Many seek out things such as money or even attention rather than furthering their connection with the creator."

I scratched my forehead. "I see. Then I guess that I'm a worldly person."

Emon scoffed. "I figured that out the day I met you!" He glanced at me and smiled. "Still, I know that deep down, you care for others."

My face reddened a little. I wasn't nearly as kind as he thought. I was only assisting Maki and the others to protect my home, not because I necessarily cared for people.

"Nice job finding him, Em," a voice called out.

I laughed as I stared at the white-haired young man. "I was just thinking about you."

"Ehh? Don't let your sister hear you say that, or she'll get mad at you for having thoughts about her boyfriend."

"Not like that!"

Maki chuckled. "I'm just toying with you. So, what was in your mind?"

"Nothing important."

"Ki ran into the Rooster Pillar. He said that the Kurorikuians were talking to him."

The prince's smile vanished. "Did you capture him?"

"No, he ran off when I gave chase. The Seven Hills and their allies didn't seem very concerned about him."

"Well, the file on him does say he's weak."

I had thought the same thing, but that man's agility clearly made up for it. He even managed to dodge the thorns on the back of my neck, a split second before making contact.

"And he does look the part, but I get a feeling he's more dangerous than he wants us to believe."

The prince crossed his arms over his chest and furrowed his brow. "What makes you think that?"