Episode 44: Clash of Kings

Skah's eyes bulged out upon hearing my question

Skah's eyes bulged out upon hearing my question. "What? Didn't you hear what I said? Without a core, you won't be able to return from there alive!"

I wagged my finger. "I didn't say that I would dive into it myself. I have Caelio. With it, I can detect Dan's life force, which makes the job of recuperating him a tad easier."

"Sorry, but I can't accept that request! What you plan to do is too dangerous! You would be devoured by the darkness as soon as you step foot in there! Plus, my dad and the others would never allow me to take you there. And for your information, I am not allowed to step foot there unless if my father is there!"

I sighed. Like I thought, there were layers to it. Why couldn't things ever be easy?

I smiled. "Then, how about you consider joining us if I win? Only seems fair, considering you are attempting to recruit Serra."

He rubbed the back of his neck and sighed. "I can't, my big brother already left a hole by turning his claws against us."

I blinked. "Was that a play on him being a cat?"

He snickered. "Sorry, bad attempt at adding some comedy. Honestly, I'm not sure what I can give you."

I snorted. "You really are something!"

"Wait, don't laugh at me! Ugh, I should listen to Daiyu and stop making lame jokes..."

I pressed my fist against my lips as I tried to regain my composure.

"How about this?" I said. "If I win, you won't need to join us. Instead, you'll stay at the sidelines, aiding neither Abyssia nor Zionia."

"You wish for me to remain neutral? If I could, I would be. Even if I managed to remain neutral, the war would pull me in. Unfortunately, those of us chosen by destiny must pick a side in this war. If we try to resist, it finds a way of pulling us in. Sometimes, that can come in the form of tragedy." He lowered his head. "I can imagine a few possibilities. For example, Roa is currently a war prisoner of yours, right?"

I nodded as it started to click what he was implying.

He took a deep breath. "If I decide to stand by and do nothing, he could die at the hands of your side. If that were to happen, I would most likely explode inside. I wouldn't be able to resist the rage of having lost a child in that way."

"I understand. You love your family a lot, don't you?"

He smiled and let out a chuckle. "Yeah, even that rebellious pegasus of mine."

"But is it true that nothing can be done to stop us from killing each other?"

Skah's smile subsided. "My father naively thought that he could get you to submit upon seeing our power. Even now, I still believe he does. We do not wish to kill you, but if we don't obtain the light we need, we will all perish. That might even include Tetsu and Serra."