Episode 70: The Fox Mask

My djinn appeared in front of me and stopped the beam of ice with her bare hand

"Don't you dare hurt Naoru," she said, dashing toward the fox-masked man.

A fox tail emerged from his lower back and swung toward Camila. I dashed over and raised my knives, slicing through the tail. Strangely, the dismembered tip floated around in the air like a bubble.

"Look!" Camila yelled, pointing at the man's tail stump as it regrew.

"He's an abysmal," I said. Though, why didn't my weapon's anti-regeneration ability kick in?

"Yeah," Eita said as he dashed over to me. "He tried breaking into the dungeon. Luckily, I managed to force him out." He winced and collapsed to one knee. His left leg was covered in blood.

"H-hold still! I'll heal you," Camila said.

Eita smiled. "Thanks."

"Keep your guard up, you two. I'm going to go take this creature outside."

The masked man turned around and headed straight for the dungeon. My djinn appeared in front of him and kicked him, sending him flying through the living room window.

The two of us rushed outside.

"Naoru, look out!" Camila yelled.

I gasped as something grabbed my neck from behind. It was the dismembered tail.

Static ran across my body as a sphere of electricity struck the gray glob, causing it to turn into goo.

"Sorry, I tried to restrain the electricity to the tail," Eita said.

I shook my head. "It's fine. Camila. Go to the dungeon and lock it up. Make sure that the prisoners don't escape."

She nodded and ran off as she finished healing Eita.

"Let's go, I'm ready," Eita said with a serious face.

I smirked. "I was hoping that you'll say that."

A gasp escaped me as ice made its way toward us. The outside of the house was being encased in ice, and it was beginning to leak inside.

"This is bad," Eita said, gulping.

"That may be the case, but we mustn't be deterred. My djinn went after him. She'll know what to do to break us out of this situation. In the meantime, we should head to the dungeon. Camila's fire might be able to hold it at bay."

"Good thinking!"

I hated the idea of relying on her. Still, this mission necessitated me to push aside my feelings toward the Makkuroyama.

I stopped in place as I heard a bubbling sound behind me.

"No way, why is that goo reacting?" Eita asked, backing away.