Episode 57: Moon vs. Sun

My swords struck Tetsuya's Agnes, sending a shockwave in various directions

My swords struck Tetsuya's Agnes, sending a shockwave in various directions. The two of us had been engaged in a battle for who knew how long. Neither of us had managed to gain the upper hand on the other.

I took several deep breaths as I flew away from him.

He smiled as he lowered his shield. It was in its original form. "Tired, cousin?"

I gulped. Tetsuya had always had more stamina than me, but it seemed like he could continue for several more hours.

I took a deep breath before spinning around. My cousin gasped as I moved so quickly that he couldn't move Agnes in time to block the hilt of my right sword from striking his chest.

He grunted as the strike sent him flying several meters away. I grinned and dashed forward. There was no way I could let this chance go to waste. The momentum was mine!

I gasped as my swords struck an invisible object which repealed me. I flew back and realized that there was a barrier against my back too. Wait, had he let me into a trap?

I smirked as I closed my eyes and sat down. Attacking was what he wanted me to do, that way he could hurt me with my own attacks. I would just have to draw upon the mana around me, if possible. Hmm, maybe I could pull on the mana making up his barrier.

A tight sensation hit my head. I opened my eyes to the realization that it was the barrier closing in on me. I retracted my wings to give myself some extra space. Then, I stabbed the bottom of the barrier, only to be hit by a wave of energy equal to my attack.

I grimaced as blood rolled down both my arms. The energy had come at me in the form of small blades.

My eyes turned to look at Tetsu, who gave me a victorious grin. He raised his arm toward the sky before swing it down. As soon as he swung his arm, the barrier started to lose altitude. I reverted Aventine into their crystal earring form and covered myself with my wings. Tetsuya likely planned to undo the barrier the closer I got to the ground.

I fought back a scream as my wings struck the ground. I opened them up and saw a thick cloud of dust swirl around me. The dust around me contracted into swords, which I sent flying after my smug cousin.

Tetsu flew around them and blocked any that got to close with his shield.

Why isn't he using those barriers? Did they require too much mana? Or perhaps he's trying to conserve it as one would do in an actual prolonged battle against a traditional army.

Though, outside of the Battle of Grand Crater, the Abyssian forces had yet to fight as a conventional army. If anything, their attacks were more akin to guerilla fighters. As were ours.

Guerilla fighters... they fight with fast movements on unsuspecting opponents.

"Dark Sphere!" Tetsuya yelled, launching a sphere of darkness at me.