Episode 37: Daring Escape

*Onami*

"Ugh," Nao said, hanging his head back, against the metal container of the trailer transporting us. He fanned himself with his hand to try to cool his body down. His clothes were completely drenched in sweat.

We were the only two being taken to wherever 'The Dragoness' was taking us.

"Want some water?" I asked, offering him some of the water I was given. I didn't have as much need for it as he did, though. For some reason, members of my family did well with the heat. My guess was it had something to do with our sand-based powers and ability to create illusions of a desert.

He smiled, weakly. "Thanks, Onami, you're the greatest," he said, taking the water. He opened his dry lips as he gulped down the water.

"Why not put your lips against it?" I asked.

His already red face somehow managed to turn more crimson. "It's your canteen. It would be unsanitary to put my lips on it is all." He turned away as he handed it back to me.

I lowered my head. "Ohh. Good point. Onami wouldn't want you to get a disease from me."

"Huh? I meant from me."

I glanced up at the sweating boy. "You?"

He nodded. "Yeah. I had a fever not too long ago." He looked down at his leather shoes. "Mama told me not to go out on the day I was kidnapped, actually. She felt I wasn't healthy enough. If only I had listened to her, then I wouldn't be in this situation."

If only I had held on to Yuko and not trusted that man who lied to me. Yuko... hoped she was fine. Knowing her, she might've turned back and went to save Nori. We had agreed that we would save him after reporting to the police.

I sighed. An untold number of days had likely passed since then. Or maybe, only a few had passed. Though, it was only rather recently that the heat here had started to become overbearing.

"Is something on your mind?" Nao asked.

"Onami was just thinking of her own family," I said, sighing.

"Don't worry, we'll escape from here." He smiled.

"What's on your mind?"

He grinned. "I came up with an idea."

I scooted closer to him. "Well, let's hear it."

He cupped a hand around the edge of his mouth. "I was thinking, you could make the stuff that lady wants, but instead use it yourself."

I gasped. "Myself? I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle it." Sure, Mama said that only members of our bloodline can, but the side effects were still bad. Though, Daddy said that they could try to cancel the effects before time was up, but Mama never tried it. Seemed she was too afraid of it.

Considering what became of Kuroshi after he took it, I couldn't blame her.

"No," I said.

He frowned. "Then how can we be saved? If we were still in the capital, it would be easier for Papa to find us. But now we're heading to someplace where even we don't know."

I bit my lower lip In contemplation. He had a point. This might be our only way to escape.

I grimaced. "Fine, but Onami will be the one to take it."

He nodded. "Okay." He placed his head back against the wall of the container. "Hope it'll work. It feels like I'll die here soon."

"Don't worry," I said, patting his slim shoulder. "Onami will try her best to save you."