Special: Hideo Turns Eight

*Rene*

"Hey sis? How are ya?" I said as I picked up the phone. I had to use my shoulder to press it against my ear as I was stirring a bowl of corn dough with my right while using my left to hold the container itself.

"I'm doin' well. I won't occupy much of ya time, know ya likely busy," Anis said.

I laughed as I stared at the mess in the kitchen. Even with all the house cooks helping, today's task as a difficult one. "That's an understatement."

She laughed. "Sorry for making it worse."

"Nah, it's fine. You know me, I'm a great multi-tasker!"

Anis laughed nervously. "Yeah..."

I huffed. "What, you don't believe me?"

"Well, there was that one time you burned several dishes you tried making at the same time."

"They were toasty, not burned!" I protested.

"Well, if you think you can multi-task, fine by me, do it. I just wanted to let you know that I sent something to your oldest boy. I recall you mention it's his birthday. Hope that one day I can see him again. I haven't seen him since he was a baby. I've yet to meet your other kids besides Kiara and him. How many do you have now?"

I laughed. "Well, apart from Hide and Ki, I got Dan, Sy, Cami, and Amu," I said.

My sister broke into a coughing fit.

"You okay sis?" I asked, putting down the cake mix.

"I'm fine. I'm just... surprised is all. You're so young and already have twice as many kids as me."

"Well, you know me. I love kids. Watching them grow has certainly been something. It wasn't all that long ago that Hide was born."

"Yeah, time sure flies by quickly. That's why we have to enjoy every last moment we can. Soon they'll be flying out of the coop."

I nodded. "I certainly will. By the way, you didn't need to buy him a gift."

"I felt that I should. Eight's a very special birthday for a kid. Well, I better hang up, my minutes are about to run out."

"Oh, okay. I'll be sure to send something for your oldest too! He'll soon be sixteen, right?"

"Yeah, in a few months."

"Does he plan to go to college?"

"No. We..."

"Anis? Still there?"

"Ah, seems I got to go! I'm out of change. Buy, little sis!"

I smiled. "Okay. Take care, big sis."

"I will." After that, she hung up.

I put down my phone on the counter and sighed. "You tend to say that, but you rarely watch over your own well-being. I hope that you and your kids are doing well, sis," I whispered as if in prayer.

"Hey, Mom!" a voice called out. Hide came running into the kitchen with a soccer ball on hand. "Can Ki and I go out to the park? I got a new ball in the mail." He scratched his head. "Though, I got no idea who sent it." He smiled. "Wait, was it Dad and you who had it sent so that I wouldn't try to look throughout the house for my present."

I laughed. "No, and for your information, I made sure to hide your present somewhere you wouldn't think to look."

He stared at the soccer ball. "Then who sent it to me?" He dropped the ball and stepped back. "Wait, could it be those rebels who sent it? Mom, let's get out of here!"