Episode 16: When life gives you Bananas

*Etsuo*

[Three days ago]

I stared at the few rays of moonlight breaking through from a small barred window overhead. Ever since we were captured yesterday, time had gone slowly.

I turned and glanced at Roa who slept on a bed on the opposite side of the large cell. The rays of the moon failed to hit his bed, causing total darkness to wrap around him. He hadn't spoken much since we were captured. Not to mention, he always had his back to us.

Perhaps, he was mad at me... It was my fault that we were in this situation. If only I hadn't let my guard down against Naoru...

"Is he alright?" my brother asked, pushing himself off the floor.

"Hey, Roa, are you okay?" I called out. There was no response. "Maybe he fell asleep."

Even though I said that, a sinking feeling built within me.

"Roa? Cuz?" Man-kin said, walking over to him. He stretched a hand out and grabbed a hold of Roa's shoulder. "Come on, say something. It isn't like you to not say a thing."

Roa let out a grunt, but it wasn't a sleepy one, rather it was a pain-filled grunt.

Man-kin pulled Roa, flipping him until he was facing upward. Our cousin had his hand covered in his blanket, but a strange blue light was being emitted from underneath.

"What are you doing? Wait, do you still have your powers?" Man-kin asked.

I stood up and walked over to get a better look. Roa's bed was drenched in sweat.

I pulled back the blanket and gasped. All over his right arm were multiple black blisters crackling with blue electricity.

I stepped back. "Roa..." I turned away and ran over to the front of the cell. "Someone! Is anyone there! Roa needs help! Hello? Is anyone there? Hello! Please..." My hands slid down the bars. "Save Roa!"

***

['Present']

I grunted as I pushed myself up the ground. I rose to my feet and wiped the sweat off my brow with my shirt.

"You really are out of shape," Man-kin said as he spotted me.

"That's why I'm working out," I responded, proceeding to punch the empty air.

He pushed himself up from the bed, balancing all of his weight on his arms.

"Do you think Roa is doing well?"

I stopped. Roa had been placed in a separate room after Hideaki had heard about his condition. He was still exhibiting those weird growths across his body, most notably in the areas Naoru had wounded him.

"What are you two talking about?" a voice called out.

I looked up and saw Naoru smiling at us. He donned a black and gold uniform. When had he returned? Last I heard, he had headed with the others to the capital. Had Osamu decided to station him here after all?

"About Roa. How is he?" I snapped.

"Watch your tone there, abysmal. Don't forget what happened while we were in the palace. Or do you wish for me to give you a repeat?"

I jumped back.

He scoffed. "What a cowardly thing you are. That guy wasted his time trying to protect and avenge you."

I clenched my hands into fists.

"A coward such as yourself is useless in war. You were better off staying home where you wouldn't be a detriment to your forces. Though, we are lucky that you did join them. Else, we wouldn't have been able to capture more of your allies."