Episode 53: Diamond Blades

I ran throughout the maze, slashing its walls every now and again

I ran throughout the maze, slashing its walls every now and again. I would give that guardian of mine a piece of my mind once I've found it.

I gasped as I came across an area with a door. Is this another trap? But what if that's what it wants me to think...

I took a step forward and grabbed hold of the doorknob. It was cool to the touch, but I didn't feel any ice mana within it nor behind it.

I turned the knob and pushed open the door.

My eyes widened at the sight of multiple rows of ten-meter-tall shelves spread across the dark oak-floored room, which was actually made up of two floors. Each shelf was filled to the brim with books of various sizes and even shapes.

I walked across the long violet carpet with golden embroidered snowflakes. I stopped behind two chairs positioned around a small, blue oval rug with the same snow motif. The fireplace in front of the chairs served as the only source of light in the entire room.

I ran my sword hand across the velvet surface of the chair beside me as my eyes were drawn up.

The banner of the snow owl holding a sword on its talons hung over the chimney. The owl, it was the crest of my family.

"This is... a replica of my library," I said.

"That's correct," a voice called out.

I turned my eyes leftward and saw a glowing cyan sphere.

I smiled. "Seems I found you."

The sphere's light flickered as it laughed. "Not yet. You've yet to see my physical form." The orb of mana rose toward the banner. "You still have to answer one more question."

"And what is that question?"

"Before that, let us review your responses."

I sighed. "Fine, but don't see the point of doing so. Especially the second one. I thought I was rather adamant about not wishing to discuss it further."

"Indeed you were, but I think it's still worth reviewing. Now, your first answer was that you wish to rule the Grand Duchy represented by this emblem. You also seek to expand its renown throughout the land and even beyond the boundaries of Zionia."

"That's correct. You easily accepted it."

"Certainly did. To my second question, you responded that you protected the junior princess as you feel she needs protecting."

"That's true, yet you wanted more of a response."

"That's because there's more to it, but your mind still refuses to acknowledge it. Either way, I do not plan to pry further into that."

I smirked. "Seems you finally understand. Now, what's the third question?"

"What do you regret about the past?"