Episode 7: Resonance of Guilt

[Xeleria]

[Xeleria]

My eyes lingered on uncle Osamu and uncle Tekeshi as cherry blossom petals danced around us.

"W-what?" I asked, stepping back. "The Prime Minister saw my brother with Aster? H-how? I... remember burying him. You were there uncle! As were Setsuko, Rosalba, and Kohri!"

The king nodded. "Yes, we were. I'm not sure what's going on, but it's worth looking into. If you do meet the person whom he saw, don't let your emotions control you. It could be a trap."

Tears stained my cheeks. Who would know about my brother other than us? I didn't recall ever telling Etsuo and Roa about him... Wait... my grandfather... Did he know?

There were several times in which mom could be heard talking to her dad. When I was a kid, she would sometimes pass me the phone so that I could talk to him. Wait, that had to be why his voice was familiar...

Did he seek to use my brother's image to sneak into the palace? I couldn't recall if Conrad and I had met him in person for him to even know how he looked...

A hand touched my shoulder. It was uncle Tekeshi.

"Don't worry, Serra. We'll get to the bottom of it. For now, we have to focus on preparing for the next attack."

"Indeed," King Osamu said. "We aren't sure when they'll attack next. I'll be arranging the preparations to Xian."

"We need to secure the Ziz," Tekeshi said. "That's what they're after. Anyway, let's join the others. We don't have time to waste."

The king chuckled. "Well, that's hilarious coming from you."

Tekeshi smiled. "I know when to be serious." He glanced back at me. "Let's go, Serra. I got a lot to show you. You still haven't mastered Aventine."

He was right... I hadn't. I needed to get stronger in order to protect Tetsu, Xime, Setty, Rosa, and the others. I couldn't have a repeat of what happened in the abyss. Plus, if Conrad truly were in their possession, I would require all the power I could get in order to save him.

***

The three of us went inside Nine Petal Academy's palace. The others stood by the staircase.

"What's the holdup?" Tekeshi asked, glancing up at the stairs.

"So, these are our Zionian 'allies'," a voice called out. Descending down the stairs was a short, bulky man who frankly looked a lot like an ogre.

"Yes," Koukyuu responded, stepping forward.

The man scoffed. "What do you think allying with angels will get us? They will back stab us when they have a chance!"

Koukyuu narrowed her eyes at him. "Mr. Obi, do not forget that I am an angel as well. So do guard your tone."

He grumbled. "I am merely looking out for the interests of my people. Also, aren't several of them of the clan that tried to wipe yours out?"