Episode 34: Standing Shoulder to Shoulder

[Past]

[Past]

"Hello?" I said, picking up my phone as I headed toward the training room for my daily work out.

"Hey, Serrano! This is Kohri," the voice on the other side said.

"Kohri? Is something the matter? I heard the call for backup, but thought you had it handled."

"I do. The reason I called you is-"

"Here, give me that!" a familiar voice snapped. "Son, I found him! I found him! I finally found him!"

My silver eyes widened. "Dad? Why are you with Kohri? Is everything alright?" I asked, stepping aside.

"I found him!" he yelled.

"I get that, but just who is it that you found? Or are you just badly drunk, again?" I asked, walking down the stairs while gazing around to make sure that no one was overhearing. I might have told Rosalba and Piedad about my dad, but I couldn't let the servants know about his state. Gossip came out of their mouths as easily as saliva.

"Your brother! I found your brother! Can you believe it?"

I lowered my phone and jumped over the remaining stairs.

"Sir Serrano," the guards outside asked as they saw me rush past them. "Is something the matter?"

"This doesn't concern you!" I snapped, lifting the phone up to my ear.

"Doesn't concern me?" Father asked as his voice became distant as if he were pulling the cellphone away from his mouth in surprise.

"Not you! I was talking to the guards. Now, tell me, what exactly do you mean by you found my brother?"

"Yeah, Conrad. I found him," he said, joyfully.

"Conrad? Why is he here?" I asked. "Is mother with him too?"

"No, but there was an angel with him, a Kasai no Ki angel. I am not sure as to how your brother came in contact with her, but what matters is that he's here."

"I see, where are you two right now?" I asked, coming to a halt outside of the palace grounds.

"We are in the police station by the castle."

I came to stop and turned toward my left. Toward the east was a straight road which went as far as the eye could see. It was said that each of the four roads to and from the castle were uninterrupted, thus forming a giant cross in the middle of the maze of the capital. The center of that cross was the royal courtyard.

The four roads weren't originally part of the city, they were the products of the decades-long renovation of the city which occurred prior to the start of the latest war with the Kasai no Ki. Their construction led to a lot of housing issues at the time as buildings and old roads had to be demolished or rerouted to make way for the new roads.