Episode 77: Never Surrender

I flew down the hole in the glacier where Naoru's djinn fell through and found my way back inside the Makkuroyama estate

I glanced around the place. Fate must've had quite the sense of humor to have brought me to this place.

Before I could take another step, green vines sprouted out of the ground and grasped my arms.

I took a deep breath. It was a real irony. I yanked my left hand free, but more vegetation grabbed hold of me.

I closed my eyes and froze what little was left to be frozen. The vines shattered. The fire mana within them wasn't enough to melt my ice.

"Where do you think that you're going?" a voice called out. Blocking the entrance to the dungeon was a girl with bright red hair and cat ears. It was Omatsu, one of the Cat Pillar's followers. She was friends with one of Dine's relatives, but I couldn't recall which one.

"Why are you blocking me, traitor?" I asked as I formed a sword of ice.

Omatsu narrowed her cat-like-eyes at me. "Your mask conceals your presence, but your ice gives it away. You're that irritating fox, aren't you?"

I snickered. "How rude. It's been years since we've seen each other, and the first thing you do is insult me."

"Years?" she asked, taking several steps back.

I laughed. "Decades, in fact."

Her eyes widened. "I know that time doesn't flow in our home world, but what do you mean by that? What are you implying? How could it be decades since we lost spoke?"

"I am not the one you know," I whispered as I dashed past her. I tapped her shoulder, freezing her in place. "Now, be gone, kitty."

"N-no!" Omatsu yelled as her body shattered. Suddenly, a bright purple light emitted from her crystal.

I narrowed my eyes at her. How persistent. She reminded me of someone, but I couldn't recall who.

"I won't let you get away! I'll avenge him!" he said, shattering her icy encasing. The broken parts of her body regenerated rapidly.

I yawned. "Avenge who? Dan?"

She grunted. "Him too, but the one I speak of is one who no memory remains of."

I laughed. "Then how do you know that you must avenge this person."

She patted her chest. "Because, while the memories are gone, my feelings aren't."

"Ah, so it's someone you loved. Well, I'll have you join him in oblivion," I said, turning around. I spread out my tails and pointed their tips at Omatsu.

She gritted her cat teeth and jumped back as my tails plunged into the floor. Purple claws replaced her nails. "You're the one being sent to oblivion!"