Episode 35: The Encroaching Darkness

*Aventine*

"Wait!" I said, holding a hand up as the two boys were about to charge at me.

Tekeshi's son blinked. "What's wrong?" he asked, coming to a stop.

"I want you two to do some proper training, it'll make this a more exciting fight."

Tetsu smiled. "Ahh, I get it."

"I know from my old master that you came here to learn how to properly control mana." I glanced at my new master. "I wish for you to teach what you know to him."

Serrano turned to look at Tetsu. "Think you can teach me mana control?"

"Most of what I know I learned from Setsuko, but I'll happily teach it to ya!" he responded with a bright grin.

"Then, how about you begin?" I said. Snapping my fingers, the room exploded into a mosaic of triangles which reformed to create an arena in the middle of a black void.

"Woah," Tetsu said, glancing at the pitch-black sky. "How did you do that?"

I snickered. "Years of practice." Though, dream manipulation likely came easier to me than it did to most others; being able to materialize dreams in the outside world and all.

He laughed. "Can you teach me?"

I shook my head. "Sadly, you're going to have to practice on your own. Being able to control one's own dreams is the first step into being able to distort this one."

"Say, if we were to die in this realm, would we die in real life?" Serrano asked as he stood near the edge of the battlefield.

I nodded. "It's possible, considering this differs from a normal dream. My father and I pulled your spirits into this world. If something were to happen to you while here like this, your spirit might end up crushed."

"I see," Serrano said, slowly stepping back from the edge.

"Alright, enough talking. Let's begin your training, Serra!" Tetsu said, running over to him.

"Okay," Serrano said, smiling slightly.

I turned around and snickered. While I was Serrano's guardian angel, it was as if that boy were his true angel. It was the same case with his predecessors... each was fortunate to have a close friend whom was willing to risk their life for them and vice-versa.

I walked over to the edge as Tetsu talked to Serrano. Taking a seat, my violet eyes peered into the black dome. The space around me distorted until I was sitting in a meadow like the one my father had taken Tetsu to.

The sky here was bright blue, just like the eyes of my new master.

Brother, how are things going on your end?

Suddenly, a figure appeared behind me.

"You called, Ave?"

I turned around and smiled at the man who had an annoyed look on his face. He looked a lot like my old master's youngest son and his brother, Skah.

"Sorry about that, Caelio, I didn't mean to summon you here," I said, rubbing my right ear. "I take it that you were busy with something?"

He took a deep breath and sat down beside me. "Not really, just overlooking my master's training."

"Have you made contact with her yet?" I asked, staring at his stoic face. He might've looked like Skah and Tetsu, but his personality couldn't have been any more different than theirs.

"No. She's not ready. That girl still has much more to learn, that being said, she has started to make progress since awakening the angel tool."

I smiled. "That's good. Hopefully, she'll be able to summon you soon. Our owners might not be as capable as our previous ones, but they need our help."