Episode 58: Further Memories

"Big brother," I said as I opened my eyes

"Big brother," I said as I opened my eyes. For some reason, I had gotten the chance to see his trial and his training with our cousin. I glanced at the other me. "Were you the one who showed that to me?"

He nodded. "Yes. I wanted you to see what he and his allies are going through."

I lowered my eyes to the swirling floor of purple mist. "He wants to save me." I grimaced. "However, like I said, I can't betray Aster and grandfather's kindness. Thus, I'm not a prisoner. I'm aiding them out of my own free will."

The other me laughed. "You are as loyal as your brother. While skimming through his memories, I saw that Aster proposed he join you. Yet, he refused. He can't turn his back on Zionia, just like how you can't turn your back on Abyssia. Until one of you does, or the war ends, then you will be separated."

"You can do that? How?"

"To search through memories is the special ability of the rabbit pillar."

"Special ability?" I asked, tilting my head.

"Yes. It appears that every pillar has one. Reginald's revived you. While Takeshi's ability seems to be energy absorption, one he preferred not to use."

"I can't believe uncle is alive," I said, scratching my head.

While I was in slumber within this space, nearly all of my memories had returned. From my earliest one as a toddler, up to me meeting Serrano in Kaguya. However, everything after that was blank. Though, maybe it was for the best. There were some memories there which I wished I hadn't recalled.

"Say, is my mom alright?" I asked.

"Huh? You care for her even after everything she did?"

"Well, she did have a hard life. She believed her brother had died for many years, then she lost her mom around the time I was born, and then there was the split with my dad."

The other me sighed. "You are a good kid, Conrad. If I were in your shoes, I probably wouldn't care for what happened to her." He turned away. "Actually, I would resent her for what she did."

I lowered my head. "I would be lying if I said that I didn't resent her a little, but I also have fond memories of her. She wasn't always a bad mom either." I smiled. "Sometimes, she would play with my brother and me."

The other me shook his head. "That still doesn't excuse her actions. Anyway, I think it's about time that you've awakened."

"Wait, before I wake up, could you show me more of my reunion with my brother and father in Kaguya? I barely knew the latter... Mom always said bad stuff about him, but based on what I saw, he seems like a good guy. I want to know what happened to him, too. Even if he is the one who hurt Mommy."

The other me turned around and held his hand out toward me. "Well, there's no harm in showing you this."

I winced as my head ached. I dropped to the swirling mass of darkness and passed out once again.