Episode 6: The Gun Knight's Trials

"How about we get back to training?" Halim asked

"How about we get back to training?" Halim asked. "I'm not sure when Rina might come, and I much rather avoid her fury."

"Is she that scary?" the peasant asked, smiling.

The white-haired, dark-skinned, lanky angel nodded. "She's the scariest person you would probably ever meet."

"Then you better stop talking about her before she appears," Hyosetsu said, glaring at them.

"Actually, she's a bit like him... but worse," Halim whispered, glancing at us.

Hyosetsu scoffed. "She should've been the one training us then. We would've made a lot more progress by now."

The Angel of Metal sighed. "Alright, alright. Go back to mana concentration."

"Wait, what about my challenge?" I asked, glancing over at Kaliq.

Halim laughed. "Right. Well, this is something worth watching. Everyone, pay close attention."

All eyes turned on me and the strange robed man.

Kaliq extended his agate-covered staff toward me. "You'll win if you can tap the tip of Yabedul."

My hand moved to my hip. "That easy? I can do it in my sleep!"

The man smiled. "Ohh? Then perhaps I should test you that way."

"I-It was a figure of speech. Don't you have those here?"

He chuckled. "I knew what you meant, just teasing, child."

Wind danced around me. "Hey, I'm not a child! I'm eighteen!"

"No need to get mad, young one. Now, ready when you are."

My eyes locked in on the staff. I slowly moved closer but Kaliq didn't even move it, nor did he flinch. Was he not taking me seriously? Well, that would be his undoing!

I lurched my hand for the staff and just as my fingers were about to touch it-- it moved.

"Huh?" I said as I stumbled. A gale of wind pushed me up, keeping me from falling.

"So close!" Halim yelled.

I rubbed my nose and smiled. "Yeah. This time I'll grab it!"

Kaliq pointed the wooden staff at me once more. "Ready when you are!"

My eyes shifted toward his hand rather than the tip of the staff.

I moved one hand forward as if grabbing for it but then moved the other forward.

Kaliq spun the wooden rod so quickly that the bottom edge almost slashed my neck.

"Impressive, didn't expect you to attempt that," the robed man said, smiling.

I snickered. "Didn't I say that I was a genius? Now, let's try again! This time I will touch the upright tip for sure!"

"You got spunk, gotta admire that," Halim said, chuckling.