Wedding Crashers

It's been a year since they broke up, six months since they were best friends, three months since they could be normal colleagues. Any hope of things between them ever being normal isn't there anymore, especially since she's engaged and he's dating someone.

He still gets an invitation to the wedding, of course. They were best friends for years before they had sex and messed everything up, including her religious promise to Jesus. Nothing worked well anymore, but she wanted him there for support. Sure, she had Cheryl now, and she's great, really great. But Cheryl's life is falling apart, and she doesn't know anything about Betty's past, in Moline and at Mercy West. Drinking together in a supply closet instead of going to a fancy benefit did bond them, and form their friendship, but at the same time,  Cheryl doesn't know her like he used to, the way he knows her, and she never will. History played a part in it, but the fact they had a dramatic breakup means that they might never be able to be normal again.

Betty loves Aiden, and he shares her religious beliefs. Who cares if he's weirded out that she's not technically a virgin? His proposal was the most dramatic thing she'd ever seen, bringing the whole hospital and paramedic team outside with them for a proposal complete with synchronized dance moves.

Now, only three weeks away from her wedding, there's a bus on fire, about to explode. Just when she thought maybe she could go home early and spend some time with Aiden, hang out, watch movies, and have a normal night. Of course, the boys run out to get everyone they can, warning Betty to not go. Jughead and Oliver run out, hoping to hell they can get everyone safe. Aiden knows that it's killing her, so he wraps her in his arms, giving her a quick kiss on the forehead.

Oliver gets all of them but one out of the bus and runs back to Betty, who wiggles out of Aiden's grasp and stands there, waiting for Jughead to come out of the bus. He's still in there, and she can't see him.

At the moment she realizes that he's not following Oliver, the bus explodes in a fit of fire. "Where's Jughead?" The blonde screams frantically. She starts running towards the exploding bus, being held back by her fiancé. "Let me go!"

"I'm not letting you go to that exploding bus, Betty! He's fine, alright? And even if he isn't, why does it matter?" Her brown-eyed love asks, raising an eyebrow. Jughead has always been an issue in their relationship, as Aiden is convinced that Betty's not over him. She'll always love him and have feelings for him, but she's found the love of her life, and they're getting married in three weeks.

He's becoming worse and worse by the minute. "Aiden, he's my first, okay?! That's why he matters! I'm in love with you, and you're the love of my life. But I refuse to pretend I don't care about him anymore, and I'm not going to let you stand here and act like he's just a guy, just a patient because he is NOT. He is the man I thought I would spend my life with at one point. Accept that he's a part of my life!" Betty screams, running toward the bus as quick as she can. She just can't deal with him right now; he's too much.

Running to the bus, she realizes she doesn't have a mask on. Shit, she needs that if she's going to be able to go there and not inhale smoke. You know what, she'll live. Hopefully. More and more smoke keeps coming, with no signs of Jughead or the kid he was trying to save. "Jughead?!"

Screaming his name frantically, he emerges, carrying the little girl, from behind the bus, somehow without a scratch on him. "I've got her!" He calls to Oliver, who chuckles loudly. Of course Jughead did that.

"Someone get me a peds gurney and a regular one for Dr. Jones!" Oliver shouts at a nurse. That was a bit rude.

Jughead tries to act like he's fine. "Oliver, I'm fine. I don't need to get checked out."

The chief chuckles, "Yes you do, if only for the sole reason that I'm the chief and you're head of plastics. Keep it up and I'll have Cooper do your exam."