Chapter III - Contracts of Sacrifice

Chapter 3.

The human kingdom wasn't quite large, it consisted of the population counting to only 20,000 and to survive they had to live like insects and rodents, always hiding and watching their backs, fearing for their lives. Since they were weak species they were prone to the attacks from the wizards and other species, their goods were looted by the bandits and their fields were destroyed. It was almost like the other races had outcasted them just because they didn't have any special powers.

The humans lived a life of fear and wariness and only managed to have the trade with the dwarves of the South who had agreed to make the armors and weapons which the humans could use to protect themselves. It was through the dwarves that the human King came to know of the Dragons and wondered that if he could make a pact with the Dragons then he and his people wouldn't have to worry about the other races, rather they would be scared of him. This would completely change the picture and turn the tables.

The king of humans, Theodore Van Campbell had sent a letter with his trusted minister to form a pact with the dragons. He had been worried sick and pacing in his room attempted to be soothed by his rest ministers that the response would be positive but it still wouldn't put him to ease. And, how would he be at ease knowing that if they accepted they might have some sort of condition under which they would extract some sort of advantage for them? Although he had promised to give them the mining rights in the diamond mines in his kingdom, they would demand something else as well. That fact scared him to death.

The news of the minister returning with the response from the Dragons sent King Theodore's heart to his throat as he hurried over to see what they had responded. His minister, Walter Dordon had a somber expression as he handed over the scroll to the king. He opened the scroll with trembling fingers and read what the Dragons had written, his eyes widened as he reached halfway but forced himself to continue till the very end where the Crown Prince of Dragons had signed.

"What does it say, Your Majesty?" One of his ministers asked.

The King was quiet for a moment before he rolled the scroll again and faced the minister.

"I couldn't negotiate, Your Majesty. They insisted that if we agree to this then they would give our country protection and allow trade contracts between humans and all of the species of South." Minister Walter said in a defeated voice.

The other ministers gathered around seemed equally tensed now that they didn't know what exactly was being conversed.

"What is it that the dragons want?" One of them asked not containing his agitation.

"They want us to marry our Princess with their young prince." King spoke up and this sent a wave of gasps among the ministers.

"Bu-But–"

"It is only natural for them to ask something like this."

"The second Prince? But he is said to be the cruel being who doesn't think before hurting others." 

"Your Majesty, we cannot let our Princess to be married off to such a brute." 

The ministers started speaking their mind while the King stayed quiet contemplating over his situation.

"My daughter in exchange for the peace and upliftment of humans." The king spoke, "If that's the sacrifice it takes then, I won't refuse it. Make preparations, send the news to dragons that we agree to their condition." 

"But, Your Majesty, please reconsider, it is also Princess Naomi's life that is on line." Minister Walter insisted with concern for the young princess.

"There is no place for reconsideration, make haste. Princess Naomi is to depart for the Dragons land within four days."

His announcement sent the ministers on their feet as they rushed over to make preparations.