✔XLIX - Dragons don't back Away from word

Demian turned around and saw every citizen as well as the Knights stood still, no one blinking. Seraphina had a gap in her mouth seemingly she hadn't expected Demian to take action with his own hands.

Demian said with a loud voice for everyone to hear, "Now, you have my word and Dragons don't back away from their words."

The skinny peoples who had been staring at the royals now looked at each other, smiles of hope slowly crawling on their faces and once again, whispers washed over the crowd. The children, though seemed very weak to walk, cheered with joy. Sera stood there casting a smile of gratitude as her eyes showed respect for him. Demian's heart leaped a round.

He said returning the smile, "Let's go settle this together," and stretched his hand out to Seraphina. Seraphina came near and took his hand as she gave him a determined nod.

As they turn around, Demian saw Casian was standing with a frown on his face, partly impressed with Demian's actions and partly shocked as why there was no fighting between Seraphina and Demian.

Demian gave him a knowing smirk which made Casian's jaw muscles to twitch. Clearly he had no idea what Demian was up to.

Alonzo, on the other hand, started to cry in joy as he thought it was worth to live that long to see the young Prince doing something extraordinary. He had only witnessed the bad side of him in his years of service but today, he got to experience something new. The boy who would always threw his tantrums before anything or handled everything on force had done something with only with his words.

"Your Highness!" Alonzo cried out as tears fell on his cheeks and his thick moustache fluttered as if to show him respect. "I—I am so happy today! Oh! Now I can die peacefully..." and he cried more.

Demian's brows twitched, "Yes, yes. You can die after our work is done. Now, move! We are late!"

"Yes, Your Highness! Right away, Your Highness!" More tears poured out of his eyes as he went back to where he was seated before.

"Honestly, why do we have a crybaby steward with us?" Demian grumbled as he sat on their ride.

Seraphina laughed and said, "Don't complain, he is just too happy."

"I haven't even done anything, yet."

Sera put her hands on him as Demian startled at her sudden action. She gave a warm smile and said, "Look out of the window..."

Demian moved his head and his eyes landed on the people of the streets. They were cheering with joy and some of them were crying while smiling at the same time. Sera added, "You gave them hope. They don't even have food on their plates yet, they are hopeful that they'll get to fill their children's bellies tomorrow. That's all what they want." Sera leaned beside Demian as he went still at the intimate behaviour. Sera mumbled, "The hope for a good future. You gave it to them, Demian."

Demian could feel her heart against his arm and her breath on his neck as he felt his cheeks were warming. What the devil was she trying to—

He halted as her breathes turned to soft snores and he gave her a scowl. "Great! She fell asleep."

How could anyone fall asleep within a second? Demian wasn't sure why his heart was thundering against his ribcage and more than that why was he so offended?

To divert his concentration, he looked again at those people. His heart felt warm. He had done many deeds but never a good one to feel like this. He couldn't describe what he was feeling but one look at Sera's eyes told him he did great. However, that wasn't what he had come here for.

*****
Sera yawned and asked, "Have we reached?"

"Almost."

She tilted her head toward him and saw he was looking outside and as Sera peeked out, she gasped. The area was just as how Dragon's city was, oil lampposts in series between the cobblestone roads, buildings, large and small statues, fountains and a palace surrounded by large gates—decorative and sophisticatedly standing gate just before them where Heartstone's men were on guard.