LXXXII - Caught in the Fire

It had been two days Billard had sent two of his men to get information on Seraphina. As the hours went by he felt his chest had been tightening around the worry. He had been having trouble sleeping for days and occasionally his eyes wandered the carved ceiling of his room. He had no time to admire it but nowadays he was doing that a lot.

Not to mention, Zenith had been very cautious around him after what happened at the breakfast table. She was very careful in choosing her words. He was irritated by it but knew the reason behind it. It was his fault after all.

He tried to make it out with her through the nights he was spending with her however, even he was distracted by everything. Especially with the upcoming event. The transformation day. It wouldn't worry him if it was like any other dragon transformation but with the curse it turned the situation a bit complicated.

He released a breath as he sat on his chair. After the breakfast, he went to his study chamber as it felt this room was the only thing that could give her a momentary peace.

There was a knock and from the metal clanks he was certain it was his guards.

"Come in."

A man in dragon armory entered and in his hand, it was a letter with the emblem of the human nation. Billard's attention immediately rushed to it as he asked, "Have they sent a portrait?"

It was the first question that came out of his mouth. He had forgotten to ask if his gifts were their liking or not. But in this circumstances, that can wait.

"Yes, Your Highness." The man knelt down and stretched his hands where the letter pointed at him in the air.

He went around the table and took it as he dismissed the man. He stood up and left as he hastily opened the papers.

In a neat handwriting, the letters were carved as he read it as fast as his eyes could read it. There were no important matters that needed his attention. The king had asked about his daughter and was happy for the gifts. As his hands turned the letter away, he found another paper as requested, the king had sent his daughter's portrait.

The ground beneath Billard's feet vanished immediately as the golden haired princess's face looked at him from the paper. Blue eyes that clear sky would feel shame upon witnessing her innocent eyes. Pale skin and golden ringlet tangled beside her little face. No doubt, she was a beautiful girl but at the moment, it wasn't the beauty that had haunted him but the thoughts that he had been proven right made his blood boil in anger.

Did the human country betray them? Did they have any ulterior motives which the dragons weren't known for? And more importantly, was all of these attacks related because of Seraphina?

Questions after questions crowded his mind as all he saw was red in his eyes. The human nation didn't betray them as they had sent him the actual princess's portrait. If they were to plan anything against them, they wouldn't have sent the portrait instead sent the imposter's portrait.

With everything in his mind, one question made his belly tied into various knots. Who was this girl living under the name of the human princess?

*****

Seraphina might be perplexed because Demian hadn't come in two days and he didn't show up at the breakfast as well. Which left her in a worry. She tried to go to his chamber but there were four guards behind her doors and more guards had been deployed at Demian's doors as if someone would steal him.

She could not understand why the corridors were suddenly full of dragon guards and even more it seemed they were keeping a close watch on her.

Even Celia had noticed it.